Go World News

1 Like

I can’t see the player names in the two sgf you uploaded for the final.

Wikipedia tells me Oh Yujin won 2-0 against Wang Chenxing.

Wu Qingyuan Cup - Go to Everyone! tells me the final was supposed to be played over three games from september 27 to september 28. I assume Oh Yujin won the first two and so the third one was cancelled (as often in best-of-three matches).

The first final game that you link looks very suspicious. White resigns at move 125 after seemingly making a huge blunder and letting Black kill a group.

It’s indeed the first final game. Comments on the Fox server by a pro said white had made some mistakes on the upper right corner. Wang Chenxing probably got panic in the byo-yomi and made more mistakes. I think she knew the white group was in danger, but was unable to save it when there were two groups under attack. Also, in the second game she made many mistakes under the time pressure. By the way, she’s expecting her second baby, so the match was brought forward.

1 Like

Check it out, Iyama Yuta uses high Chinese opening. That’s a rare opening. Because it’s bad. The result is natural.

2 Likes

It’s not very nice, mocking a player behind their back like that. Instead, you should shoot this Iyama guy an email, and teach them why this opening is bad. Otherwise they will keep making the same mistake.

1 Like

It’s his loss if he doesn’t read the best go forum there is.

Anyway, everyone already saw it but Ida Atsushi played tengen in Tengen title match.

Interesting that Tengen titles match doesn’t see the usual suspects - Ichiriki Ryo or Iyama Yuta.

3 Likes

This game is really fun.

At move 22, Ida Atsushi plays his weird contact move at D11. This results in a sacrifice of 8 white stones on the side, in exchange for a wall of influence towards the centre.

Then Seki Kotaro is so afraid of the influence that he spends moves 55 and 57 at C12 and G10 just to reduce the influence, completely ignoring White’s attacks on the east side.

White then proceeds to build a huge moyo on the east side. Then ignores Black’s cut at E3 and sacrifices a corner… But plays at M7 at move 86, trying to capitalise the moyo into a territory, instead of expanding the moyo. I think M7 is the kind of move that Takemiya Masaki really dislikes because it goes at the extreme opposite of what moyo are for.

Note that all that is written above is my personal analysis. I haven’t plugged Katago on that game yet. OGS’ online analysis says that Ida Atsushi managed to close the gap and come back to an even game, from move 96 to move 111; then White’s “last losing move” was the very slow move 112 at G2, where White passively lived in gote and let Black take the initiative for the remainder of the game.

In the end, Black lives everywhere, White’s moyo turned into a very small territory. The game record you uploaded just says “Tie + Resignation” as a result, but I assume Seki Kotaro won, since White completely abandoned the moyo strategy starting at move 86, and so didn’t get much in exchange for the huge sacrifices on the west side and southwest corner.

2 Likes

Looks good on my side

But in game info indeed it’s broken

OGS is buggy as usual.

Someone posted rating comparison for Nakamura Sumire. On X axis it’s age on Y it’s rating. Purple is Nakamura Sumire, red is Iyama Yuta, green is Fujisawa Rina. Isn’t this amazing? Nakamura Sumire and Iyama Yuta are almost two parts of the same graph.

https://twitter.com/gorisenri/status/1576859599646302208/photo/1

2 Likes

When the pro says “I know empty triangle is often a bad move, but this situation is the exception” and the AI says “no exception, bad shape is bad, good shape is good”.

2 Likes

I’m not sure in which thread to post this.

I found a game where most of the moves are played in ko threats:

White launches a first ko at move 76 on the west side, even though it looks like Black has more ko threats.

At move 87, Black ignores White’s threat and finishes the first ko by making a double-ponnuki and killing a small white group on the west side.

As a result of White’s executing the threat, a new ko starts on the east side at move 98. Black “wins the ko” a first time at move 103, but decides that simply finishing it is not enough, so instead he plays a tiger’s mouth. The ko starts again.

At move 122, it looks like White has won the ko, but instead of finishing the ko, White plays a move that creates a lot of ko threats. The ko restarts, but now White has a lot of threats.

At move 150, White wins the ko, but decides that finishing it by connecting is not enough, so he plays an atari on the black stones that surround the ko, to increase its value. The ko restarts. At move 155, Black connects his stone which is in atari, and White plays a double-atari on two other Black stones surrounding the ko. The ko continues. At move 161, Black caves in, saves the more important of his two stones and lets White capture the third stone. Finally this second ko is finished.

157, 160: recapturing the ko

At move 172, White starts a new ko on the north side. At move 189, Black turns this ko into a double-ko that favours Black. So, the ko’s value is greatly diminished, but they keep playing it for small endgame/sente reasons.

At move 199, it looks to me like this ko is completely resolved, it’s a simple double-ko that favours Black, so there is no point in playing it anymore. But for some reason, White keeps taking it from time to time. I can only guess that it’s a “timesuji”: taking the double-ko is a worthless-but-costless sente move for White, so if the game is played with a byo-yomi, playing this thoughtless sente move can add some time to the clock.

Finally at move 241, White resigns, with the double ko still on the board.

3 Likes

What a fun game! I watched the beginning live and caught the rest later. I’m very happy to have Ida Atsushi in a title match, just to have more variety.

At least this game was not the same old 50 more AI opening.

1 Like

Noodle Cup is about to start.

2 Likes

Is this the same thing as Nongshim Cup?

Who are the players?

Yes.

Looks like Fan Tingyu and Ichiriki Ryo.

1 Like

3 dan

4 Likes

Congrats to her. She has been playing (and winning) a lot of games for sure. Too bad she seems sleepy in that photo.

I think promoting (marketing) the female players is a good idea and I wish I knew more about how well it’s working in Japan. I have to imagine that there are a lot of kids inspired by Sumire.

I look forward to more.

2 Likes

Yeah, most likely taken right after the games.

Fan Tingyu finally fell. And that’s all for noodles cup this month.

We have female version of this though. Lake Cup Seoul Shinmun World Women’s Go Overlord Battle or whatever. I have no memory of the games. They were in May, anyone remembers what was going on there?

Apparently two Japanese and two Chinese players left and four Chinese.

2 Likes
2 Likes

According to goratings.org 's Elo rankings:
Choi Jeong, #1 woman, #96 total;
Ueno Asami, #6 woman, #219 total.

Also, Ueno Asami is #2 Japanese woman, behind Fujisawa Rina.

That’s one way of looking at it. Another is “that’s a lot more money than I’ve made playing Go” :smiley:

1 Like