Go Zendo

Maybe the rule refers to the categories of the emojis?

Yep, you got it!

2 Likes

Ok, even though I said I can’t commit much time right now, I guess I can make one quick rule :stuck_out_tongue:

Valid koans are sequences (of any length) of red, blue, yellow and black.

These follow my rule:
:large_blue_circle: :red_circle: :red_circle: :yellow_circle:

:red_circle: :black_circle: :black_circle: :red_circle:

:yellow_circle: :yellow_circle: :red_circle: :red_circle: :red_circle:

:large_blue_circle: :black_circle: :large_blue_circle: :black_circle: :black_circle:

These do not follow my rule:
:red_circle: :red_circle: :black_circle: :black_circle:

:red_circle: :large_blue_circle: :yellow_circle: :black_circle:

:black_circle: :yellow_circle: :black_circle: :yellow_circle: :black_circle:

:large_blue_circle: :large_blue_circle: :yellow_circle: :red_circle: :red_circle:

Sorry to interrupt…

I feel the tool may be useful in general for the forum, if it could be modified to allow varying board sizes.

1 Like

There are lots of better diagram editors out there. When I want to create a diagram, I usually just screenshot an OGS demo board or Lizzie (see for instance the diagrams in this thread or this post). The only slight downside there is that I manually have to draw the rectangular region that should be captured, so the image dimensions are not consistent. That was the main reason for me creating the tool for this thread, I wanted to be able to display multiple diagrams in a grid, and that would look very ugly if they had different dimensions.

I don’t know of the top of my head any editor which has a built “export as image” feature, but I’m sure it exists :slightly_smiling_face: If there is some interest, I could make a version of the “Zendo tool” for more general diagram creation, but it would only have the most basic features. I don’t have the skills to create a full-fledged sgf editor like @yebellz’s BesoGo, for instance.

2 Likes

I think if you compare the effort in

• having to download lizzie (especially for non-windows users)
  • the mess of options for the OGS demo board feature, not to mention having to make a new demo board anytime the board size changes or possibly having to clean the variation tree (after a while it gets slow).

to using the tool you and Ruby were sharing, and then compare it to @Jirogo36’s usage which reminded me/led me to recommend this thread

The positions/images above look exactly like the tools used in this thread :slight_smile:

I’ve started to learn javascript myself (kind of for work) and how to set up github page (to play with css on ogs profiles :slight_smile: ). I could also try to host your or Ruby’s tools if that’s something you’d like but don’t want to host it yourselves :slight_smile:

I know what you mean though, one could download sabaki or other sgf editors or use the linked besogo for other features.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to add this feature to BesoGo, but I need to figure out how to do this first. I’m thinking it could be useful to have the option to export as PNG or SVG. Currently, the board is generated as an SVG element, so the latter should be fairly straightforward I think.

3 Likes

What would be awesome would be a “copy as image” feature like Ruby’s tool had, which puts the image directly into the clipboard, removing the need to save a file locally. With the library I was using (p5.js) the board is a canvas element which is easy to save as PNG. I guess an extra conversion would be needed from SVG, so I don’t know how difficult that is.

2 Likes

Yes, that would also be a nice feature to have, and it would also be nice to have that feature in @Vsotvep’s Dip Go tool.

Anybody interested in revisiting this forum game? I’m thinking of a more slow-paced correspondence-like game. I can think of a rule and host a game if there are interested people!

5 Likes

I wasn’t involved in the earlier ones, but this looks fun.

Looking back at the posts, there wasn’t much discussion among the players vs. just submitting a bunch of guesses. I wonder if we could slow ourselves down by restricting it to one official guess at a time or something.

Also someone should link the tenth game in the top post.

3 Likes

I have a rule, but unfortunately it looks like RubyMineshaft’s tool, which we used to generate images, has been taken down.

For now, I’ve generated Koans using Vsotvep’s Multicolor tool.

Only positions that could occur in a go game are valid (i.e. all chains must have at least one liberty).

Green Koan

Koan_6
Koan_7
Koan_10
Koan_11
Koan_14
Koan_17
Koan_22
Koan_23
Koan_28
Koan_44
Koan_35
Koan_37
Koan_47

Red Koan

Koan_9
Koan_25
Koan_27
Koan_30
Koan_46
Koan_48
Koan_49

3 Likes

We can probably put the thread in slow mode if you/we wanted?

Basically users can only post once every X mins/hours.

2 Likes

I think the hard part of this is that such rules do not apply to mods, and about 50% of the forum regulars is a moderator… But we can make it an honour rule to only post once per day?

3 Likes

I’m wondering if this is a hint. Does your rule require multiple colours? Otherwise an OGS demo board would probably suffice as well.

Let me give my inquiry:

I won’t post again until whatever we’ve decided what time period we have per guess.

2 Likes

Green!

I will try to keep the starting post updated with all revealed Koans.

I don’t know if we need a strict rule about posting frequency, maybe it is enough to note that the general intention is to be a correspondence-paced game.

Only “normal” Go positions are valid Koans, no multicolor go (yet ^^).

1 Like

That’s different from what I meant, which was that there should be more discussion among the students before we present a koan to the master (or whatever the terminology is :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Well, I’ll profusely apologise in that case.

My current working hypothesis is that White and Black stones should not touch.

3 Likes

That’s a good hypothesis. But alternatively it could be about having a plane of symmetry?

I still need to go back through this thread and read all the previous solutions.

1 Like

Link to the tool please?