Go Zendo

OK, let me submit this board. It should let me eliminate one of my ideas, that either

1. the koan is straight-line groups
  2. the koan is having one orthogonal connection

bd1

@Sanonius Hover over the image in preview to get a resize menu

1 Like

For now, I’ll just say that you can’t make two posts (either boards or rule guesses) in a row (just let another player submit a board or a guess first). We can think about adding guessing stones to the next game if we want, but I would prefer to have fewer things to keep track of.

3 Likes

I guess this will be red.

1 Like

Nope! :smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe I’m thinking too negatively again, but the number of possible board configurations is so high, and the correct koans are basically any subset that is invariant to rotation and mirroring … guessing the rule is quite difficult (in general), right?

huh, before bugcat submitted his, I thought like this now was gonna be green, but then his was green to, so I reckoned the rule I was thinking of was wrong, that’s why I said red. Interesting.

Indeed, it can be made extremely difficult. It is the job of the person coming up with the rule to make it not too easy or not too hard. A rule involving lots of “this OR this but NOT this” would not be any fun to guess. The example rules I had in my first post are simple statements which would hopefully be possible to guess with enough given boards.

If everyone is stuck, maybe the rule maker can give some clue :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think in theory, you’re right, but the rules that a human can possibly come up with are easy enough for other humans to guess them. Because even this is possible: The Koan has the Buddha-Nature, if it is a tsumego solvable in seven turns.

But who does that?

1 Like

Is this really a valid rule though?

Well, after the discussion in this thread I decided to exclude any rules which would require specific knowledge about the ruleset used to play go. It sounds fun but opens up a whole lot of ambiguity, unless you’re very careful to define everything, and even then it would often require a lot of work to classify a given board.

5 Likes

How about this?
untitled

^^ is this the worst possible position for black?

1 Like

and this?

1 Like

What about this?

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.25.36 AM

1 Like

Wow, three greens? I think I should make a guess, shall I?

Go for it, I would be quite impressed if you guessed correctly already!

Black and White each have at least 5 liberties?

I think this is slightly ambigious as stated, I’m assuming you mean total liberties accross all chains? I’ve added a green example where they have fewer liberties and a red example where they do have at least 5.

I recommend players to have the post containing all the boards open in a separate tab, then you don’t have to scroll up and down as much.

I want to bring forth another board, if noone minds.

Summary

1 Like

?
Sry I can’t use that grey board thing.cuz I can not use white for some reason.Cuz this is not a computer

1 Like

Not sure if this gives us a lot of info, but I’d like to find out if the following is green or red:
untitled

2 Likes