Go Zendo

untitled (12)

Are the white stones on the same line?

Third line

Is at least one of the white stones not on the second line?

The key is

3 Likes

I don’t know what that means?

These examples were an attempt to show the lines completely filled.

The stone you were concerned about being on the second line is at 2-3. So it’s both on the second and the third line, from different perspectives.

(Normally in go you would only consider it as the second line, but for this rule it’s counted as both)

I don’t blame you for thinking the rule would be easier @RubyMineshaft, it looks so reasonable when you know it!

I think the trouble is that there is so much other noise in the boards we’re looking at, so the pattern doesn’t stand out. Maybe with the more traditional definition of “second line” it would have been easier.

2 Likes

That still doesn’t make any sense to me? So we’re not talking about this?

Indeed, we are not talking about this. Extend all the lines in this diagram to the edge of the board, and you get the definition that @RubyMineshaft was working with.

So for instance, all of these are counted as being on the third line:
untitled (15)

I think we can all agree that the creator of the next rule should make it almost as easy as possible :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re explaining it to me and this rule doesn’t look easy still.

1 Like

Yes, I meant that the statement of the rule as @RubyMineshaft had it looked reasonable, but I would have interpreted that statement like you did (like your first diagram). In hindsight that was a confusing choice to make, but that’s hard to know in advance, we all see the board differently and have different experiences to draw on.

1 Like

Sorry guys, I guess that was a lapse in my go understanding. I thought that was how lines worked.

It made it a lot harder than you intended, but it is still a very valid rule :slight_smile: We just weren’t quite ready for something so difficult.

1 Like

Like a stone on a 3-4 point I’ve always considered to be on both the third and fourth lines.

1 Like

I think what’s really confusing about this rule is that if you took away all the stones bar two that are currently on the same ‘line’, and now read the rule

you wouldn’t think, oh yeah they’re all the same distance from the edge.

Yeah, distance from the edge is a confusing way to put it. But I think we all understand what was meant now.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:t3:

I thought the “distance from an edge” bit made sense…