Go Zendo

grafikimage ?

Stays green!

grafik

1 Like

imageimageimageimage

So any configuration of white stones without blacks is green.
And as soon as black stones are present, it is red, unless there are white stones that make the black stones ā€œharmlessā€.
There are green boards with more white and with more black stones.
But even an empty board is green, this means that the mere presence of the white stones is not required by the Rule.

So, generally, black stones are a necessary condition for Red, and any meaning a white stone can have is dependant on black stones.

Therefore, the Rule answers the question: ā€œUnder what conditions do white stones have the power to neutralize black stones?ā€

1 Like

I predict the first of these to be red. The other three, I donā€™t know, but I think either all red or all green. The third and the fourth will be the same, the second I donā€™t know.

All red!

grafik grafik grafik grafik

Wow, didnā€™t expect that! How about with a single white chain?

imageimageimage

Hopefully you are not disappointed, but itā€™s all red again ^^

grafik grafik grafik

This one, however ā€¦

grafik

2 Likes

Is the rule easier to guess if we use many stones on our board or fewer?
image image image image

I kinda did, but have no idea why. I am, however surprised about this.

I donā€™t know the answer to your question, but I can color these Koans for you:

grafik grafik grafik grafik

1 Like

This sequence is very interesting:
grafikgrafikgrafik
The connections inbetween chains are precisely the same (four white chains, all connected to a single black chain), the only thing that changes are the liberties. The black chain has 4, 4 and then three liberties. The white chains have [2, 2, 2, 2], [2, 2, 1, 1,] and then [1, 1, 1, 1] liberties.

1 Like

And on a bigger board with more than 1 white in the centre but without touching the surrounding black stones?

I guess red.

This would be red.

All red?
imageimageimage

Is it about shared liberties?

Yes.

Answer

No ^^

I waiting for someone to tell me I need to think of the go board as a torus or a sphere or a klein bottle or somethingā€¦

2 Likes

Does the rule care about the number of stones in each chain?

Formalized: If every chain was replaced by a single node of the same color, with the same connections as the chain had, does this ever affect the rule?