Go Zendo

Anybody who wants to host the next game? I have written down two interesting rule ideas and could host again, although I’m unsure how difficult they are :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Technically we don’t know if you guessed the answer correctly :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Right, I got ahead of myself, sorry!

It does seem quite likely that you got it, and in that case I think you should host the next one!

I would encourage whoever hosts the next game to start by specifying how they want the game to be played (whether to allow submitting any number of koans / guesses / conjectures about the rule, or if there should be some restrictions, etc).

Also the master could give some free information from the start (such as “the rule is invariant to rotations”) if they think the rule is hard enough anyways and don’t want the players wasting time confirming things like this.

(But actually we’ve had lots of rules that are rotation invariant, so maybe it would be fun to have one that isn’t? :smiley:)

2 Likes

@martin3141 is correct! Thanks everyone for the fun game.

6 Likes

I’ve thought of a rule too, but at this point we probably all have done so. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

With Martin’s blessing and Vsotvep’s koans I’ll kick off game 13:

Let’s use those limitations for now:

• Don’t submit more than two koans at once.
  • I will ignore meta guesses about the rule (like “the rule is rotation invariant”).

I might lift these limitations when I think it would be more fun without them.

Green Koans
image Koan_211 Koan_222 Koan_224 Koan_229 Koan_237 Koan_238

Koan_244 Koan_246

Red Koans
image Koan_208 Koan_207 Koan_210 Koan_213 Koan_228

5 Likes

What is the site for making these diagrams?

(At least I think it was a site, though it might’ve instead been software.)

Here: https://rubymineshaft.github.io/ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Koan_202

Koan_204

3 Likes

Koan_208

Koan_207

1 Like

Koan_209

(I’m just testing if the rule is “the Black stones are north of the White stones”)

3 Likes

Koan_210

2 Likes

Not rotation invariant :slight_smile:

@antonTobi seems like @Jon_Ko heard your wish :wink:

3 Likes

Also, neither
North ↔ South ​ invariant
nor
color-invariant

4 Likes

ArsenLapin1’s koan being red does not refute
ArsenLapin’s hypothesis, so here’s a rule guess:

When [the average of the locations of zero stones] is treated as tengen,
[the average of the locations of the black stones] is farther
north than [the average of the locations of the white stones].

2 Likes

I’m interested to see the counterexamples but don’t think it’s very likely that the rule will involve entering a bunch of numbers into a calculator.

We already saw game 11 referencing a different sport (chess). Perhaps this one will be like that as well: “If the stones were football/soccer players with Black on top and the ball on tengen, nobody would be in an offside position.”

2 Likes

Koan_211
Koan_213

4 Likes

Is the rule defined for 9×9 boards only?

Modifications of green board #64:

For some reason, the “Save & Copy” button is not working for me, so these are screenshots.

1 Like

This is actually a meta question about the rule, which I said I’d ignore, but I’ll give an answer anyway: The rule works for all board sizes allowed in the tool and more.

Koan_222

Koan_224

1 Like