Go Zendo

I’m not sure if this is against the “don’t submit more than two koans at once” rule, but I’ll break some symmetry.

1 Like

An attempt at psychological analysis: our Zen master did not use the possibly more natural wording

The rule works for all board sizes.

Since the board sizes allowed in the tool are 5×5, 7×7, and 9×9, I suspect that the rule only applies to odd board sizes.

Koan_228
Koan_229

2 Likes

Koans 211, 213 and 228 are very interesting. All other koans have a very clear pattern “Black is more north than White”.

Koans 211 and 213 both have a black stone two intersections north of a white stone, but 211 is green and 213 is Red.

Koans 228 is pretty similar to 224, yet 224 is green and 228 is Red.

1 Like

Koan_231 Koan_232

1 Like

Some observations:

• We have not yet shown that white stones matter.
  • “Black occupies the upper 4-4 points” works as a rule but it would be kind of boring and especially weird on 5x5.
2 Likes

Koan_237

Koan_238

5 Likes

Koan_242 Koan_243

5 Likes

Koan_244

Koan_246

3 Likes

Rule guess: there is a black stone in the strict top-right quadrant (excluding the central lines).

(could also be the "polite triangle", which I might guess next depending on how the counter-examples come up, if this guess fails)

6 Likes

The polite triangle it is! I hope it wasn’t too easy.

7 Likes

So, do I get to host the next one? Let me think about the rule, and I’ll post some koans to get us started in a bit.

3 Likes

You might want to ask @martin3141. He declared his interest in hosting another game before I started this one.

3 Likes

Ok, sorry, I’ll let @martin3141 host the next game then.

So the real reason was that it only works for square boards, right?

For other rectangular boards, one could still find the center - which might not be
a grid intersection - and draw segments from that to a board-edge and a corner.

1 Like

It’s not really the same, though, since it wouldn’t be possible to play some openings “politely”. Because of the lack of symmetry you might need to declare a whole quadrant “polite”.

5 Likes

no no, please go ahead. Afterall I hosted the first game since the pause.

And to clarify, I’m very interested to keep this going, because I’m having a lot of fun (as player and as master). But I don’t really care whether I host or somebody else :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Game 14 Index

Green Koans

Koan_249 image image

Koan_250

Red Koans

image image image

Koan_252 image Koan_272 Koan_277 Koan_276
Koan_279

4 Likes