Help. Can someone please explain

Hello Folks. I am not realy new to Go, but still in learning and in some things still noob, I guess. Either that exeedinly so, or the AI is cheating me. In the two pictures of games I was utterly destroyed because white claimes half if my structures. but they have multiple eyes and are living, or don’t they? and why? please

thanks and regards

2 Likes

that was the game beforr that, same issue

2 Likes

Your upper right group has no eyes. If White A then Black is in atari so has to play B. If then White C then if Black D, then Black is still in atari and dies.

Capture d'écran 2024-03-22 213143

7 Likes

If white plays 1 here, the Black stone will be at immediate risk of being captured:

Likewise if White plays 1 here, the five Black stones will be at immediate risk of being captured:

This means that eventually, if Black doesn’t want these stones to be captured, Black will have to connect them to the rest of the group:

Only one eye left! Now White can capture all the black stones:

8 Likes

You need to reconsider what is an eye.

is Δ an eye?

no because after been surrounded you will have to connect or it can be captured.

Now check all what you called eyes to see if they are or not.

7 Likes

Now after this practice you may check every time in game that your eyes are real but that’s a bit fastidious.

Here is a rule to help you to see it quickly

this is an eye if 3 of 4 Δ are protected

• by one more stone
    or
  • by another eye
    or
  • by the edge of the board

like that the opponent cannot put a part of your shape in atari (threat to capture)

On the left the black groups are dead. On the right they live

B8 is not an eye. He has only 2 of the 4 protection.
Same for B2, 2/4.
In each of these 2 groups, if one of the two Δ is replaced by a black stone, we will have 3/4 protection and thus an eye.

H8 has 3/4 (2 stones and another eye)
J9 has 4/4 (3edges and another eye)
etc…

A little more on the second game. It’s a common failure in the beginning to think that this shape may produce 2 eyes
Screenshot_2024-03-22-23-31-49-31

in fact it’s impossible it can be no more as only 1 eye. you need 2 moves in a row to separate it in two, so your opponent will answer to avoid it to happen.

7 Likes

Go Magic just happened to post a video about false eyes:

5 Likes

Wow! Thank you all so so much, for that great, fast and many repies w

I think I start to understand better what a false eye means and why my areals tend to be dead. This KI realy plays harsh, I just played again and tbough I lost again, at least the eyes I had were real and the KI needed a second longer to calculate on some moves. I count that as a good sign ^^ and all thaks to you :3

11 Likes