Help Learning JavaScript (Absolute Beginner)

@TheGoban 21 months later how goes the JavaScript journey? Do you, by chance, feel like branching out into TypeScript and React? :grinning:

2 Likes

As of right now, I have actually taken a little bit of turn and have been mainly studying a lot of the fundamentals of computers and computer science in general as smurph originally suggested. Data Science, machine learning, and related topics have been of considerable interest so I am buckling down with a lot of the math that goes into it as well. My grandfather just bought me a linear algebra textbook and I hope to work through a course that goes along with it here when I have a little more free time at the beginning of 2021. In addition, I have been actively studying single variable calculus along with my regular schoolwork.

That all being said, I do think I will pursue a career in web development at first and possibly transition into those fields later on. Along with linear algebra, I think I should have more time to get back into JavaScript, HTML, CSS, etc. with freeCodeCamp soon so I will brush up and keep moving forward with web development at that point. I am just trying to prepare myself for college in a couple of years for Computer Science and so I am getting started where I can, taking things one step at a time. And, my regular high school work has been a lot more demanding than I originally anticipated, so I have been quite a bit more limited. But I expect things to free up more in the spring as I already stated.

So, as of now, I don’t have enough of a grasp on web development to learn Typescript or React quite yet, but those are on the to-learn list and, as I suggested in this post almost two years ago, I hope to help contribute to the OGS front end when I do obtain knowledge of those frameworks.

I have learned a lot of C and a bit of Python as well and have built quite a few cool little projects with those languages, though, such as Caesar’s cypher and a few other simple things. Nothing with much of UI yet though. Right now, it is just a matter of finding the time to do these things, and perhaps I should summarize my journey from time to time in this thread.

5 Likes