I wonder if anyone could help me with this …
I started recently to run a group here for children and I wanted to create some tournaments within the group. However I seem to have had a few issues! I am not sure how much of this is just that I don’t really understand how tournaments work here (e.g. types of tournaments, time settings, handicaps). Any help or advice anyone could give would be great.
Some of the issues I had and some of the questions I had …
- When we tried having a 3-round McMahon tournament, the same player got the bye in rounds 2 & 3. I am not sure if this is because of something I chose when I set it up?
- I don’t really understand the tournament types e.g. I thought a Swiss tournament could have any number of rounds, but if I select Swiss I can’t seem to choose how many rounds?
- I’ve had a lot of trouble trying to set suitable time limits e.g. if I select Fisher there don’t seem to be small enough time increments, If I select live absolute 10 minutes it seems to change itself automatically to blitz with a shorter time limit
- I am not sure at all what to do about handicaps. There is quite a spread of abilities but people’s grades on OGS are not accurate. I’d quite like to set the grades for the tournament manually but I assume there is not a way to do that? Also I’d like to know how the automatic handicaps work for 9x9 and 13x13 and what they do with ungraded players but I couldn’t find that in the FAQ
- I’d like to be able to have a tournament like the arena tournaments they have on chess servers where you just get paired after you finished your game rather than having to wait for a round to finish but I guess that is not an available type of tournament here?