Help with escapers

Agreeing on a time setting is not the same as agreeing on people leaving the game.

2 Likes

@Groin : The game view and playing games · online-go/online-go.com Wiki · GitHub

@yebellz : I know I can report them and for a while I did so regularly.
I should start doing that again. it might seriously raise your workload though :innocent:

For now I wanted to do something without immediately reporting someone.
And have the idea that I could do something about it.

1 Like

I am a little lost. Can we clarify what the Timeout means here?

I thought if my opponent runs out of time, he loses the game. The only negative impact is it could be a long time depending on the clock setting. I am the one who likes to play slow games and setup long main time like 45 minutes and even more. If my opponents “think” 30 minutes, then timeout, that’s the consequences I am willing to accept.

I used to have a customized message though to remind my opponents that I might take a little longer time to read once awhile. Just my habit. I assure them I will not abandon the games without letting them know.

2 Likes

Here we are talking about the situation that a player stops playing and letting the game run out of time. Stopping in the middle of a game.

1 Like

I see. My understanding is correct then.

There was a funny story of a Chinese/Japanese(?) pro who dislikes long game time. In one game, he played white and sat there for an hour or sth, then started playing his first move. :joy:

1 Like

Let’s be constructive. How can we make the waiting more confortable?

I propose an alarm system you can chose to put whenever you want, ringing when your opponent moves. Let you do something else as watching the screen.

1 Like

How do you make the difference between someone who lose on time because he can’t make a decision, because he thinks he has time to go cook before playing his move (and keep thinking on the game), because his provider fails and someone who just quit instead of resigning?

1 Like

I don’t think a new feature is necessary. Just put the sound on and you will hear the stone clicking when your opponent moves.

1 Like

Obviously there is no way to prove whether or not they are thinking if they leave the tab open, as some do even when they have probably escaped. But most people who abandon the game without resigning do so by disconnecting, shown by the lightning bolt Depending on how much time is on their clock, they will either lose by timeout, or by disconnection. In a few cases, they will return repeatedly to see if their opponent has left, and if the opponent has left they will play a move and hope the opponent times out.

In my observation, most escapes are done as revenge.

Sometimes, people leave a game and begin playing a new one, while letting the abandoned game time out. Other times, there’s a clear repeated pattern across many games.

On the other hand, people do have occasional connection issues, emergencies, or other accidents. Hence, when it appears to be isolated or occasional incidents, it’s probably not an issue.

I was thinking something more alarm type as the delicate sound of a shell on a kaya

2 Likes

I thought that only the will to annoy, the bad attitude would be warned and sanctioned. Not the fact that you are not good at managing your time (which can lead to repeating)

Yes, that’s right. It’s trolling that we aim to deal with.

Judging by the number of posts about preventive measures and about stepping-up the punishments, OGS must have become the lair of escapers, time-outers and all sorts of revengers…

:roll_eyes:

that is a bit of an exaggeration, but in my case about 10% of the games are timeouts and much more if I look at the first rounds of ASTs.

As it turns out, OGS players don’t really mind timeouts or escapers at all, they just have a particular fetish.

I don’t think there’s been any significant recent change in the level of such issues or correlation of activity with the discussion of this particular thread.

I think that, overall, the level of people escaping, time wasting, or trolling is quite low relative to the size of the community. The vast majority of accounts never cause any issues. While escaping and time wasting is perhaps on milder side of issues reported, they do comprise a fairly large proportion of the reported issues, so it does seem that people are often affected and annoyed about these issues.

2 Likes

Sure, but how many do you think are escapers vs. people legitimately timing out?

I checked and around 10% of my losses are me timing out.

1 Like

What time settings? I understand there are certain settings where timeouts are considered acceptable here.

Live (automatch) so that’s something like 15min + Byo-yomi I think?