Help with escapers

I think OGS should require a live/blitz game to be over before allowing players to navigate away from/close the current tab…

It should be a relatively simple fix to ask if they’d like to resign before navigating away from an ongoing game, right?

4 Likes

I asked about this in the Help chat, but I feel like it will be seen easier here…

3 Likes

Forum has the advantage of resilience, everyone has time to think his contribution.

2 Likes

How do you propose that we stop people closing the tab?

Do you mean something like “please don’t leave this page, you are still playing!” pops up?

Actually, I could get behind that.

7 Likes

I am not so for it as switching tab is not always resigning or quitting. One may like to go watch another game, chat and more while playing.

2 Likes

yes, something like a popup saying that “you must resign or finish the game before closing this tab”. with options for “resign and close” and “cancel” or something like that. I’m sure we’ve all seen this type of message when closing a tab before. especially if still editing something that hasn’t been saved.

5 Likes

Ideally, a live game tab wouldn’t be navigated away from in the first place, since we require the tab to remain open for live game players.

4 Likes

Ah then yes, a warning would be fair.

I sometimes enjoy long live games, during a slow day. I think its too much to not be able to use my phone for 6 hours, because some people escape games…

4 Likes

I’d have to do some testing of course, but I wouldn’t expect that to affect long live games on mobile. It should only affect people who are actively closing the tab or window the game is in.

I, for one, would be completely onboard for something like this, btw.

3 Likes

I think this is reasonable.

I’m not sure about this. If I understand correctly, it means I can’t even change tabs?

1 Like

In this context, by ‘navigate away from’ I mean to close the tab or change the URL the tab is pointed at. Switching to a different tab or minimizing a window shouldn’t cause a problem.

5 Likes

I see.

Then I would also support such a function.

4 Likes

does that really help against escapers ?
If someone wants to escape and can’t close the window, they just leave it open and start another game in the meantime.

3 Likes

This could help with people who escape by accident, but not those who escape on purpose. I don’t think the former are common.

Also note that on mobile browsers switching tabs can internally close/suspend the former tab as a power saving feature.

7 Likes

I’m quiet sure, the times where a website can prevent an user from leaving a site in any way is over. The most what could be possible is that the browser shows a warning along our message, giving the user the option to never show this kind of pop-up again in the future.
As long as you just click on anything in the site, we can direct you wherever we like, but URL-bar and closing / switching tabs should be impossible to prevent.

7 Likes

Have you never gotten the “your changes have not been saved” dialogue when closing your browser before? Those always require me to confirm before closing the tab and never offer an option to never see this popup again…

3 Likes

That is trying to be helpful to people who want to save their changes. Escapers want to leave, so would just leave the tab open with the dialog up and use a new tab, or close the browser.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t expect it will make any difference to people that want to escape and will probably just annoy people that do want to navigate away and come back for some reason.

Some people play simuls on OGS like some of the pros, some people might want to look at their opponents profile or something while waiting for a move or something random.

I know ideally we might want people to do X,Y,Z but if we can’t force it I’m not sure an extra cancelable message helps, except in the case someone is leaving a game intentionally and doesn’t realise it might annoy their opponent not to resign

3 Likes

This forum needs a downvote option. Some replies are incredibly obtuse.

1 Like