Help with OGS's AI for newbies

I’m no expert but my quick tips are:
Use the score change graph and not the win rate - it’s much easier to see how much effect a move had on score prediction rather than trying to interpret the win rate swinging from +99.9 to -99.9 and back!

Where you see AI persistently suggesting the same move or pair of moves then consider why you didn’t notice that that was an important part of the board to play on at that point. E.g. in your linked game, where you are ahead AI constantly wants to play p7 or q6 so we can conclude that that area was the biggest for each player to play in but both ignored it for ages. Why? What were you thinking about at the time? Can you ask yourself if something else is bigger/more important in future?

In the actual game you secured that p7 area so what went wrong elsewhere? Look through what moves the AI thought were better than moves you chose in the area you lost out in (not sure if that makes sense)

Hope helpful - but take it with a pinch of salt as I’m not an ai analysis expert (or Go expert for that matter!)

5 Likes