How can I calm down after losing a definite win by timeout?

All 3 games I lost recently are lost by timeout. I really don’t know how to calm myself down. All these games I am 100% sure I am winning way ahead. And All these lost are due to a tiny internet delay. I have clicked them on the board, and 2s later it says I lose by timeout.

1 Like

This is a question about psychology and anger management rather than a question about Go. I’d recommend, in the first instance that you set your challenges with generous time limits. Secondly I’d think twice about accepting challenges without such limits, and finally - and most difficult - I would make it a point to thank my opponent for the game and then walk away and do something else until the urge to lay waste to everything in sight has passed…

4 Likes

Well, to me this seems like a technical problem. Mabye you can somehow improve your internet connection or just click earlier if you know the signal is delayed. Set a higher limit maybe?

1 Like

Yeah I feel you. Sometimes I lose too due to timeout, but I was sure I was going to win. I suppose you shouldn’t let it get to you, it isn’t very healthy. It’s frustrating I know, but oh well. What’s done is done. Then again, my opponents have lost due to timeout, and theirs is a definite win. So I suppose it’s fine.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I recently dc’d with ATs shortstacked. :frowning: Would have been a shove.

1 Like

I have issues with unreliable net, as well. I resolved the issue by switching over to correspondence games. You may consider that! Not only does it free you from the stress of losing a game due to time out because of an internet failure, it also erases the risk of misclicks and the like!

Those games can take a long time to play out, but if you’ve lost three consecutive games due to your net acting up, it may be a necessary sacrifice to make.

2 Likes

Steps to keep calm:

1. Breathe in.
  2. Breathe out.
  3. Repeat till calm.

Seriously though, you’re not the only one. There’s nothing they can do from OGS’s side (or so I believe) so you can either get a better ISP, accept that such losses are commonplace and inevitable, or just don’t play your moves at the last second.

3 Likes

Awesome, @hiryuu, this is too good to let it go unnoticed, so I’m repeating it, albeit “styled”:

How To Calm Down After Losing A Definite Win By Timeout

1. Breathe in.

2. Breathe out.

3. Repeat till calm.

Thank you!

5 Likes