How do I... delete my account?

Let me start by saying I’m not looking for an argument. I appreciate etiquette when it is sincere.

There are a multitude of reasons why someone might not use chat:

• They might not have a verified email (this prevents use of chat).
  • They may be using a device or app that makes chat too awkward (Big Thumbs)
  • They may speak a different language. OGS is world-wide and multi-lingual where possible. I love that about OGS.
  • They might wish to avoid getting into a more significant conversation. While it may seem rude not to say ‘hi’ it can seem ruder to say ‘hi’ and then refuse to reply when replying is clearly possible.
  • They may have had bad experiences online in the past. Sometimes those start with a simple ‘hi’.

But at the end of the day none of these ‘excuses’ is required. It is simply each to their own. The primary function of OGS is to bring Go players together. I think it’s great that there are extensive facilities to interact, chat, groups, forum etc but I would not wish to lose a single Go player unless they refuse to accept the differences of others.

To misquote Archbishop Tutu, ‘We are manacled by our common Go playing, as we strive, up, up and out into even greater confusion.’

More practically, remember that you can post custom games titled ‘Chatty person please’ but you will still need to be prepared for those who mistakenly accept.

Hope some of that helps. :slight_smile:

11 Likes