How does Rengo work at OGS?

The text is nowhere near ready for public posting like that. There are still unresolved issues. Furthermore, it has an embedded query from me for crying out loud! Being in Github, puts it beyond my reach for further work, as I don’t have an account and don’t intend to get one. I said that in a previous post.

I went ahead and had them reference the ogs forums image files directly (ogs-forums.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/…) Not sure if that’s the “right” way to do it, but it seems to work :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, Conrad. Just continue your edits here and I will do another copy when we are done.
And i removed your comment and the paragraph that it was referring to. So all should be fine.

2 Likes

If both copies are open to correction, you are going to have a problem of “version control,” as we professionals say.

Edit: There is already a mismatch between the two versions since people edited this version subsequent to the posting. It is impossible to know exactly what the differences are (especially if the other version has been edited as well) without a laborious 1-to-1 proofing, which I am not going to do.

Here are further corrections based on this Forums thread wiki version. I haven’t input these directly because we now have no authoritative version, and I don’t want them to be lost if this thread version is abandoned. If this thread becomes the authoritative version, I will gladly input these myself, as I don’t wish to fob off work on anyone else.

1.3­—Substitute “or” for “versus”

1.3.1—Add comma after “live”

—Substitute “9” for “10”

1.3.2—Substitute “resigns or times out” for “eliminated” in both places.

—Add “Collective resignation for the team cannot be done.”

1.4.1—Add line space before “The Rengo…”

1.4.2—Lowercase “Game” in the header

—Delete “to” so it says “near the”

—Close up “When…” (no new paragraph)

—Substitute “View,” (with a comma) for “view”

—For the specifications, substitute “the game start (manually by the organizer or auto-start by the system)”

—Substitute “team” for “colour”

—Add period after “assigned”

—Substitute “Players who have joined can also withdraw from the game until” [WHEN?]

—Change “ranked only” to “Ranked Players Only.” However, one player in the example is unranked, so I don’t fully understand this. The title can’t refer to ranked games, since they are not allowed. This is confusing either way.

—Why is there Sofiam and Sofiam2 in the same game? Are they different people, or are these alt accounts?

—It is unfortunate that “organiser” seems to be the default Rengo term in the system, when “game creator” is the default term elsewhere in the system. It is best for terminology to be consistent.

—Delete message to me (yes, it is better)

ADD NEW 1.4.3—This will be “Assigning Players to Teams” and will need an explicit description of how to do this. I don’t know how, so I can’t write it.

1.4.3—Change “1.4.3” to “1.4.4”

1.4.3.1—Change “1.4.3.1” to “1.4.4.1”

—Since we seem to be stuck with “organiser,” I suppose “creator” should be changed to “organiser”

—Change “…can set an auto-start” to “can set an auto-start by…” and describe how this is done. I have no idea.

1.5—After “by either side,” add “Players may not participate with two different accounts in the same game.” I’m assuming this is true.

—Add “in” before “the Forums” and capitalize Forums here since it is a proper noun.

Alt accounts, used for testing only.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the explanation. It creates confusion in the documentation, but it did inspire me to add a line in the Ethics section addressing the issue of alt accounts.

1 Like

I hope that this will become the authoritative version. Two parallel versions (the github and the thread version) is rather confusing. My suggestion: forget about github for a while (not everyone has a github account) and let’s focus on the thread wiki version that @GreenAsJade started.
(Maybe removing the github version for now?)

And only when there is consensus on the text, transport it to github.
When is there consensus? I assume that @GreenAsJade knows most about Rengo. So let him decide when and let @Conrad_Melville (if he wishes to do that) do the final proofreading and corrections.

1 Like

I have removed the preliminary github version, since it seems to disturb some people.
Sorry that I bothered you.

2 Likes

Yes, this is what I thought was the intended plan. I agree completely. I will gladly do a final proofing. I’m not a great proofreader, but I am generally considered an excellent writer and editor with a professional resume going back 50 years.

Edit: Okay, I will input my corrections here.

1 Like

No problem. You did it with the best intentions, I am sure.

1 Like

Seems fine to keep it here for now. I actually wonder whether the forums might be a better permanent place for documentation. The GitHub wikis often seem so remote and neglected.

But I’d like to add that as long as @monsterkodi does did his copying to GitHub with some reproducible method, there’s no need to fear losing work. Whenever it’s time to copy changes over again, we could prepare the new copy, check for changes on GitHub, and systematically perform a “merge” in the unlikely event that it has become necessary.

Also, all the revisions on both sides are logged in a precise format not so different from what @Conrad_Melville posted.

2 Likes

I have finished inputting my latest corrections. Three fill-ins are needed.

I am sorry, but I won’t be available for that job anymore.

3 Likes

I thought about it and decided to not be childish :slight_smile:
I will probably be available to copy the documentation to github again, once it’s deemed ready.

7 Likes

Would someone with the requisite knowledge please fill in the queries at 1.4.2, 1.4.3, and 1.4.4.1? Or else send me a PM with the information, and I will write it out. Thank you.

1 Like

@Atorrante I just read this. I’m sorry for not having done it before that it was asked to me directly. I’ll start in a couple of hours

1 Like

I was about to start but I saw that @Atorrante already did it, thank you!

1 Like

Great work, everyone! Thanks! I have done a few more edits to smooth out the text. There are still a small number of loose ends:

I have added a minor query to 1.4.3. I imagine it can be answered in one line or less.

The button names are not treated consistently (my fault). @Atorrante, can you put them all in the special font you used. I used quotes to enclose a name using initial cap and non-initial cap words. The custom font would eliminate the need for that.

A couple style issues should be decided by the community, I think. Someone who likes to make polls, please create a poll here to decide these issues (I don’t know how). Should the plain text say “Rengo” and “Go” or “rengo” and “go”? Should British English (organiser and categorise) be used, or American English (organizer and categorize). Right now the text is using British.