How does Rengo work at OGS?

Should the plain text say
  • Rengo and Go
  • rengo and go
  • rengo and Go
0 voters

I’m adding the third because I see it a lot and also use it, Go helps tell the word apart from go because it’s confusing in English, rengo stands apart (except lame games).

I personally find this too restricting since different contributors should be allowed to use their own, as long as it’s correct. Anyone who has strong feelings against this can poll it.

2 Likes

Thanks for creating the poll! Fast work!

It is an issue of consistency in a single formal document, where contributors are not identified. If it were a round-robin discussion with identified people speaking in their own voices, I would agree with you. However, inconsistency in a document like this makes it look sloppy and untrustworthy.

I agree with Conrad that (judicious) consistency improves quality.

I wonder if OGS views itself as a “Global entity”, in which case UK English should be used, or whether it is a “Proudly American entity”, in which case US English should be chosen?

It depends on the image that OGS wants to portray: for anyone outside the US, the choice of US English will say “This is an American site”, wheras the choice of UK English will say “this is a global site”.

Do we already have precedents that tell us, around OGS?

edit: in researching my answer to this question, I came across this gorgeous Aussie lass explaining the differences, worth sharing I think :slight_smile:

(she speaks so clearly and slowly that I watched at 1.5x ! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Is there any reason we can’t have both? I think it’s quite common to see English (US) and English (UK) as options in settings. We kind of do something similar already with Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

But obvi American English is far superior to the legacy option :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: oops didn’t realize we’re talking about documentation, not the main site. I guess we do have to pick one…

There’s a lack of consistency on the main site. Here are some examples I found: “Color” everywhere, “Organizations” on the resources page, and “Organiser” for rengo, “Analyze Game” on the games page

One of these things is not like the others :smiley: :blush:

4 Likes

I have proofed the current text and have no more corrections. As far as I am concerned, it can be uploaded to Github. It should be proofed after uploading there in case any glitch is introduced during uploading or formatting.

The current text follows the “Rengo and Go” form that is leading in the poll. The text also follows British spelling, which can of course be changed if enough people want to change it; I personally have no preference.

Thanks @Atorrante for the additional work, and thanks to @GreenAsJade and @_Sofiam for getting this started and drafting the original document.

5 Likes

I’ve made a few small corrections, mainly I’ve added the disconnection (for casual games with more than 5 minutes per move) and the deletion of an account.
I’m not sure about the boundary between live and correspondence (it said 1 day earlier). The minimum time for casual rengo is 12 hours, but strict rengo can be quicker. I suppose 4 hours, but please check :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what is in Documentation & FAQ.

I added it to the wiki-post.

But to be honest: I am not sure what the status is of Documentation & FAQ. Do we use this as a decisive standard or is it the unofficial work of some benevolent forum members without any authority at all?

And something I just thought about: when this text is officially transported to github’s Documentation & FAQ it would make sense to close this thread.
If not there is a possibility that there will appear two parallel (Doc & FAQ and Forums) versions again. Something we want to avoid, I think.

1 Like

There was a thread not long ago in which it was definitively stated (by anoek? or by one of our techie mods? I don’t remember) that the actual time per move in blitz is 9 sec, which is why I changed that here. I think that thread also had something critical to say about the standard for correspondence. I’ll see if I can dig up that thread.

I 100% agree.

1 Like

See these threads. Very complicated and confusing. Maybe we should ask anoek for definitive current thresholds for blitz and correspondence.

Good idea.

I have corrected the text per anoek’s answer:

“[10:43] anoek: Blitz games are strictly less than 10s per move on average, 10s to 3600s per move (1 hour) are considered live, anything beyond that is correspondence”

3 Likes

Isn’t it confusing that in the first paragraph Rengo is described as “This variant also works with teams that can be larger than two players.” which is immediately followed by two links that claim Rengo is Pair Go?

1 Like

As shown in 1.4.1, there is now a help link to this thread next to the Casual Mode checkbox.

That link will be updated when this doco is published on the wiki.

(Thanks for the screenshot update @_Sofiam)

2 Likes

American English is more like the legacy option: American spelling and pronunciation are often closer to what people in Britain used several hundred years ago when the colonists left, and British practice had since evolved whereas American changed less.

1 Like

:rofl: I never heard that interpretation before :+1:

1 Like

I did some edits in 1.1 and 1.2.

To me it seems that this documentation is ready for transporting to the Github Documentation & FAQ. How do the other contributors think about this?

Just some more thoughts about this project.
I think this is a cool and productive way to work. In little more than a week we produced a manual for OGS Rengo. The interaction between several forum members is stimulating and fills me with joy.

Maybe it is possible to take a next step: setting up a permanent task force that aims at keeping the documentation up to date?

2 Likes

A permanent task force is a wonderful idea.

It does have the risk of scaring people off from signing up (commitment), who’s the boss etc etc.

An alternative to consider is to keep doing more of it in the way that this was done: open a thread with a specific task that needs to be done and have at it together in the forum where it works the way you like.

4 Likes