How intuitive is OGS for new users?

FWIW, I still don’t know what the “Leaderboards” represent :rofl:

We have a built in rank system, so I would assume it’s highest player ranks, but it’s clearly not. No idea what those numbers are.

1 Like

The ones for the site ladders?

It’s something like x number of points for winning tournaments. Something buried deep in the docs. :joy:

Iirc the points might be broken too. There was a thread a while back

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve been using OGS for nearly two years now (guess when I started), including administering a private group, and I don’t even know what this means. Is it really so basic?

Perhaps more would read it if the link to the documentation was more prominent. It should be the easiest thing of all for a newcomer to find but at the moment, you need to click on the hamburger and scroll down to find ‘Documentation and FAQs’.

3 Likes

I’m not sure which part is obscure, so please forgive me if I over-explain. Score cheating is when your opponent, during the scoring phase, illegally marks your live stones as dead, or claims your territory. It can be counteracted most easily by clicking the autoscore button, which resets the score given by the autoscore function. The simplicity and importance of this makes it basic, I think, in terms of site functionality.

Passing by both players to launch the scoring phase is certainly basic information. I am convinced that many beginners do not know this. A huge number of beginners infill their own territory rather than pass. Some of these may be children and child-like adults who do this because they are sore losers. However the volume is so enormous that I don’t believe the foregoing explanation covers all the cases. I am convinced that many beginners do not know they can pass, just like they don’t know about two real eyes, the object of the game, or anything else—they just jump in and start playing.

I agree completely. I recommended that several years ago directly to the developer, as well as somewhere in the Forums.

2 Likes

Ah, ok, I wouldn’t even know how to do that. I’ve never disagreed with the automatic score, I don’t think, and neither has any of my opponents. Also, they are almost entirely people I know, mostly from our club, and they wouldn’t try and cheat anyway. I should read the relevant part of the documentation myself, though, in case I do need it some time.

The problem with complete beginners not knowing how a game ends is not really a site-specific problem, is it? If you play under Chinese rules, it doesn’t matter if you fill in your own territory, anyway, does it (as long as you retain two eyes)?

1 Like

Yes, infilling does matter under any rule set, because it’s a form of stalling prohibited by the site rules. Doing that rudely wastes time and delays the opponent from moving on to another game. Although most players do it because they don’t know better, others are pathetic losers who deliberately stall because they know some players will abandon the game or even resign rather than waste the time. Not only is that scenario dishonest, but the wrong result damages the integrity of the ranking system.

2 Likes

How does OGS teach new players this? Is it OGS’s responsibility to do so, given that it punishes players for doing that?

I think I only learned about this after watching some Nick Sibicky video (I think)

1 Like

Well, we always warn (at least) twice before punishing… so, while we don’t force everyone to learn not to fill in their own territory, also nobody is punished in ignorance.

6 Likes

As BHydden says, the moderators are particularly restrained with beginners, patiently explaining things to them on this and other issues when there is a report.

5 Likes

It’s hard to see what benefit a player would imagine they’re getting by such a tactic, since it just means their next handicap game will be even harder to win, due to their artificially inflated rank – and the more they do it, the harder it will become to win legitimately.

Could it be a legitimate tactic, though, where the opponent is ahead on territory but very close to timing out? In one sense, it would constitute punishment for their spending too long thinking about how to gain the lead they managed to create…

3 Likes

Sorry, but my reply got orphaned somehow. It is post no.133

I’m obviously doing something wrong, as my replies do not seem to appear as replies. I’m trying to reply to Conrad_Melville’s comment

They appear as replies on my end. Did you mean for them to look like quotes?
(You might need to try refreshing)

No, I know how to do that. I just don’t see any link between my post and the one it is a reply to. In what sense are you seeing my reply as such? To me they just seem to be new comments on the end of the thread.

1 Like

These icons indicate it is a reply and link to the replied post.

On some blitz servers it is, but we don’t allow it here.

Thanks, but that seems a bit back to front. If there are replies to a post, then I want to know about them when I read the post replied to. Otherwise, for example, I might make the same reply that someone else has already made.

1 Like