How intuitive is OGS for new users?

That would be thus :slight_smile: (you can click this one to see all the replies also)

That’s not showing on my phone

1 Like

Now that you mention it… same… wonder why Discourse decided not to show replies from mobile… maybe not enough room to do it well? Interesting that I never noticed that until now haha good pickup

2 Likes

Ok, just checked here on my laptop and now I see the option to show replies. Mobile implementation not fit for purpose?

Dunno. Ask discourse. They provide the software for a great many online forums. We just implement it :man_shrugging: Is it a feature that works on other forums that we need to turn on somewhere?

1 Like

Cheats generally live for the moment and don’t care about the next game. If need be, they can always cheat again by stalling. Another group of people who deliberately stall are those who want revenge, so they infill till they run out of moves, and then abandon the game to timeout.

It would be highly unlikely to work as a tactic in byo-yomi, or in Fischer time, because all the opponent has to do is click “Pass.” Opinions differ as to its use in Absolute time or in extreme blitz (I personally regard it as time cheating), but as BHydden says, it is not allowed on OGS in any case.

1 Like

With respect, if you’re on the OGS team, maybe you could ask? But first, is there someone on the team who knows where such a setting would live, if there is one?

Interesting. Is that a rule that’s written down somewhere? I can’t remember if I’ve read OGS rules on matters of etiquette like this. I can see it would certainly be extremely annoying, especially if they took as long as they could without timing out.

I guess it would be this in the hamburger menu:

1 Like

Yep!

Annoyingly, you touch the name of the view you don’t want (I touched “desktop view” to get what you see in the mobile screenshot.

Thanks!

Grrr!

Err, I didn’t touch it. I’m happy with mobile view!

Edit - but when I did try it out it does work and shows the reply drop-down. And then the hamburger menu shows "mobile view"as the option instead.

Maybe try again?

Something went wrong with screenshot or upload. I got mobile view (with “replies” showing) by touching the words “desktop view”. I will try and edit in a suitable screenshot.

It’s fine, I think we are sufficiently off topic now we can stop!

Edited: https://ogs-forums.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/original/3X/6/6/6640a088b67b5241183b869c60b5bcac07e490fe.jpeg

It’s a really useful bit of info that even bhydden didn’t know about. It deserves to be mentioned in a thread of its own. (But I don’t think I know how to do that and cba 2 rtfm, as they say!)

1 Like

See “How to End a Game,” in Home · online-go/online-go.com Wiki · GitHub :
“It is also not OK to stall games in any way such as with pointless moves or endless resumptions of play.”

Also, the Terms of Service say (or used to say; I haven’t checked it lately) you can’t “act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to communicate through or use Services provided by Online-Go.com.” Stalling negatively affects players’ use of the service by preventing them from moving on to their next game or doing something else on the site.

1 Like

https://forums.online-go.com/t/absolute-blitz-i-love-it-some-hate-it/39838

In this topic there are interesting answers too.

2 Likes

Thanks. V interesting

Ah, yes. I actually read that after your comment (or was it someone else’s?) made me realize I didn’t know how to challenge the auto score, but I was concentrating on the technical stuff. It’s pretty clear, anyway.

Are the ToS elsewhere in the same documentation?