How many Go players read/watched Dragon Ball?

I just heard of this news today and now it’s being reported everywhere.
It’s so sad that such a legend passed away so suddenly.
I remember that Dragon Ball was the first anime that I enjoyed watching. Probably all those who watched it would’ve tried to use Kamehameha on our friends at one point in time.

Was just wondering how many Go players have read or watched Dragon Ball before.
Did it influence you in any way? So far I only know a few such players.

For me, seeing how Goku and co. always goes for training before beating a stronger adversary makes me think that I can also overcome my opponents through more training. It’s a pity that I don’t have a room of spirit and time that I can train in.

6 Likes

It’s unpleasant that the authors of these massive manga series’ pass away at such a relatively young age, iirc the author of Yugioh passed away at 60 in 2022, but I assume it’s all due to the enormous amount of work and stress these creators have to go through both from the publishers and the fans/public.

2 Likes

Completely missed it.

3 Likes

It’s not clear how Toriyama got the acute subdural hematoma. Maybe it could be a head injury which could be caused by an unfortunate accident.

Just a while ago I was seeing his posts on social media about his new work. He seemed to be quite enthusiastic about it. He definitely had a lot of things left undone before he left.

Berserk Author Miura also passed away and it was before his manga was complete. That was very unfortunate as well.

3 Likes

Well I wasn’t trying to presented being a mangaka/animator as a bad field of work, I’m happy that these people were able to do the things they loved to the very end but now that you mention it, it is never quite clear how these authors pass away till after a while.

The case of Yoshifumi Kondou’s death comes to mind (one of the most prominent animators in Ghibli and the person who was most likely to succeed Miyazaki and Takahata) who passed away shortly after the release of Princess Mononoke in 1997 from an aneurysm he didn’t even notice till his passing. apparently he was working with a collapsed lung as well and the aneurysm occurred some time in the final stages of the movie’s production.

1 Like

iirc the doctors only declared his death due to an aneurysm as late as 2 months after his passing however the details and information varies from source to source.

2 Likes

My little brother was in it, not me which makes me think it concerns players of 46 to 53 yrs old?

2 Likes

Wow that makes me look very old lol

1 Like