How to create a game?

until now, I joined existing games in “PLAY” tab, and I appreciated to have 3 differents way search games:

• big blue buttons in the search box (I clicked on “blitz” some days ago, but it coul’nt find any game)
  • graph with X/Y
  • list of games

But today, I tried to create a new game, because I feel I’m now experienced enough to attempt this challenging operation.
Quite surprisingly I did’nt find any button, menu containing the words “create”, “new” (which proves that my preconceptions of creating a new game are probably too narrow). did I miss something?

1 Like

It is the custom button in the big blue box, which is confusing, it should just say create instead.

4 Likes

thank you.
In my language (french) it’s in a box entitled “game search” (“recherche de parties”), which is even more confusing.
In order to give the accurate title of this box, I tried to change the display language to english, but gave up.

OGS seems a remarkable achievement in terms of server and client side dev, but how is it possible that the core usage loop is so flawed whereas the site is inflated with optionnal/technical/sophisticated options such as badges, notifications, etc… It will now become difficult to fix the core loop because newcomers will not be eager to “fix” this and only people with patience to learn will stay and “get used” to it. So, I wish OGS good luck.

4 Likes

Yeah, it tends to have a beautiful UI, but with some major flaws to it…

1 Like

This I thought in the last 2 years very often. I have the feeling, the developer of this amazing UI with very a good feeling of usability has left the crew (Its just a personal assumption.)
Most of the suggestions for a little more usability here in the forum, went by unheard. Fourtunate the foundation of the UI is very solid and makes lot for the plus side.

I know there was many work at the backend for a more stable envoirement, but it appears the user voices about the little details from the daily use are not imortant enough.

I for myself gave up, to hope the little UI-improvments will be made or even heard.
The new rank table couple of days ago, made me say something again, but the answer was again a kind of: live with it .
And so I do, 'cause the core usability is still very good.

(And of course a little hope is still with me, there will be a time where the programmer think of the normal user again, and take the time for all the small improvments, to make the live a bit better).

1 Like

However, one thing to note, is that even if the UI might have flaws to it, it is still a really good go server, possibly one of the best in my opinion. Even with these flaws, we learn to live with them, because the rest of OGS UI and community is great. So yeah, it could be improved, but I still think these problems are minor compared to the 1990s design of KGS and some other go servers…

1 Like

On top of that, the entire front end is open source… so, if you don’t like something… the dev’s are often more than happy to accept a pull request

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like UI/UX changes are in the pipes, but anyway thanks for your feedbacks.
And hopefully being open source will progressively fix these issues…