How to remove the OGS logo from your Chrome browser

Especially since every single member of the dev team will openly admit UI/UX is not their strength.

3 Likes

To me, the point is this site is about playing go. What “the dev team” feels about unrelated topics is not relevant. And since we live in an age where “certain topics” are considered sensitive and divisive, it seems especially inappropriate to include a prominent customization expressing those feelings. Those feelings can always be shared in a general discussion thread.

4 Likes

That opinion has been expressed before. You’re entitled to it, and it is noted that some folk feel this way.

6 Likes

You devs sure are a lot nicer than I would be about this. Anyone who’s actively looking to remove the logo is obviously part of the mindset that the war in Ukraine isn’t as serious as it actually is. I’d like to see anyone that wants to remove the logo just go to play on another server.

Alas, I guess blocking those players will just have to suffice.

I support the devs decision and am glad to be a site supporter.

2 Likes

This is not a good way to run any business. Just saying.
(obviously I changed the quote, because that is a general mindset of intolerance and it is not contained in the current issue)

Freedom of choice, client-side, is a much more reasonable solution.
If you dislike something that much, you are free to choose to avoid it (the OP exercised that exact same freedom, by the way), however making a whole server comply to what you do not like, is taking the adage “the client is always right” way over its intended meaning.

2 Likes

If you ask me, the client[*] is always right :wink:

([*] since it’s the thing that I write :smiley: )

6 Likes

…in matters of taste"

1 Like

That might be the case if the dev team were all paid employees and the users were all paying customers. My understanding is that most of them aren’t and most of us aren’t. As there is probably a fair amount of volunteer work that goes into making OGS a great place to play Go, it’s important for the devs to be happy. Being able to express themselves and feel represented by the site they work on is part of that.

By the way, dev team, it would be nice if the OGS logo on the forum were colourful and consistent with the one on online-go.com.

5 Likes

I didn’t know that OGS supported the Greek football league and its ultras :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

OT - I think it’s funny that “devs” keeps getting mentioned - didn’t the change come from the mod team?

1 Like

git blame

6 Likes

Well, it’s not hard to find the pull request, which I submitted

However, that is just the implementation of a collective decision made by the administrative team, which is comprised of the head developer (and site owner) and the moderators.

11 Likes

Ultimately, anoek may give some weight to the considerations of the mod team, but this is his (benevolent) dictatorship, and he does as he pleases. Usually with heavy consultation with the forums and or the mod team, but not always.

6 Likes

I fail to see how the OP was “trolling” though.
— He seems to be an active OGS player as evidenced by his profile www.may69.com so he is not some random person just coming by to cause trouble. (so, not a troll by that definition)
— He provided what information he thought was suitable and even made a correction when faced with scrutiny on the safety of the link he had initially uploaded (trolls never correct anything)
— As far as I can tell, what he said seems to work and “ogs-nav-logo” is the class of the OGS logo in the main site. (so, not a troll by the “misinformation” definition)
— He specifically said “it’s a sensitive topic and I dont want to start a fight” and indeed he didn’t start any fight and proceeded to let the issue drop (so, not a troll by the “flaming” definition either)

So, by what standard is that topic “trolling”? Is there a new definition that I am not aware of?

In the past years the rise of this fashion of branding anyone that doesn’t agree with us as a troll, has been very fascinating to watch, but saying something does not make it so. Words have a meaning and the more we dilute and demolish them, the more detrimental it is for everyone involved in any discussion.

11 Likes

The whole motivation of the post is to make a statement regarding a ““sensitive”” topic and objectively start a fight! There is nothing of innocent or naive in wanting to remove OGS logo. The choice of not mentioning Ulkraine in any moment - despite this being the central point of the OGS logo and his wish of removing it - is also a way to express how much he thinks that Ulkraine situation and the mass murdering promoted by Russian state is not even a question that should be declared. This is not a matter of “taste”.

3 Likes

The intent of this thread was to show how certain elements can be hidden if one wishes. That has been established. Further discussion about whether you should want to or be allowed to is fruitless and off topic so the topic will be closed.

11 Likes