How to view Hikaru no Go in UK

I’m not sure anything revealed in the first episode can be considered a spoiler :joy:

3 Likes

Well it shocked me. I was watching it with my kids and my mouth dropped. I couldn’t believe it. Had someone told me about it before hand, I would have been deprived of that reaction. I don’t get a lot of those moments, being a story buff, so I sincerely appreciate them when they come along. In this way, I didn’t want to deprive anyone else of the same experience :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry to be dense but this is an anima about Go? Is it worth watching?? I like anima (Cowboy Bepop, Samuai Champloo, SAO etc) but can’t quite see how that style pertains to Go…

Hikaru No Go is a pretty solid anime. If you like both anime and Go, it is definitely worth checking out.

4 Likes

Yes it is an Anime about Go. The three Anime that you mentioned are a little different in tone, art style, and story style (artistically). So it is hard for me to say you’ll appreciate Hikaru No Go if you enjoyed the other anime that you listed. Like all things in life, you may or may not enjoy it, based on your personal preferences for entertainment. However… (source)

• Hikaru no Go has been well-received, with more than 25 million collected volumes in circulation. It also won the Shogakukan Manga Award in 2000 and the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize in 2003.

• Hikaru no Go dramatically increased the popularity of Go in Japan and elsewhere, particularly among young children.

• Go professional Yukari Umezawa served as the technical advisor for the anime and promoted the game on behalf of the Nihon Ki-in. She had a short one-minute special at the end of every episode instructing kids how to play Go. One of the reasons she helped increase Go’s popularity was from being called the “best looking Go professional”.

• Hikaru no Go also caused an increase in popularity and awareness of Go throughout all other countries where it was read or seen. As a result, many Go clubs were started by people influenced by the manga.

• In 2004, Hikaru no Go came in 18th on Animage readers poll of their Favorite Anime Series. In TV Asahi’s 2008 Top 100 Anime poll, the series came in 83rd in the nationwide survey of multiple age groups and 93rd in the online poll. The following year, it came in 81st in the online poll.

8 Likes

Thanks people, I will go and check it out this week then.

2 Likes

managed to watch hikaru and it was enjoyable. may have issues watchig more as it was quite an effort to find. hulu had it but only for u.s peeps. netflix and candyroll didnt (though netflix said it did at some point) .u.s prime video says it has it bit uk prime doesnt. no dvds of seasons either.

i ended up watching an average copy of episode 1 on youtube.

anyone in the uk know of a way to purchase/view morr?

I don’t know of ways for within UK, but Hulu with a US based VPN may be an option?

2 Likes

A VPN with US based servers should suffice.

1 Like

The entire series is available on YouTube, at least in Canada. Search for “Hikaru no go english subtitles”.

I found the quality to be adequate.

4 Likes

Full Series on YouTube w/ Eng subtitles

4 Likes

thanks all. I also found a japanese provider (I think) with better quality than youtube.

it has a rather aggressive ‘click on this and open browser to different site’ thing going on but webroot keeps blocking everything it opens so not a particular problem. (I think that’s the ads from the 3rd party players)

1 Like

These are still up, if anyone is interested. Although the first episode got taken down.

1 Like

Someone else reuploaded the first episode

3 Likes