How to win every game on OGS

idk how to win every gaame

:question:

Be the strongest player in the world.

15 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i can’t

but good idea

Arguably, you only need to be the strongest player on OGS.

6 Likes

Just.play weaker players.

A stronger player will still lose sometimes to a weaker player, but if you are the strongest in the world then I’m assuming the second, third, fourth etc strongest in the world aren’t on OGS but second strongest on OGS is like 1000th in the world so then you can win every game.

2 Likes

Another way is to play zero games on OGS.

12 Likes

Why on earth would you want to win every game, i bet it would get boring real fast if no-one could put up a proper challenge!

9 Likes

First, relax: you’re in good company because NO-ONE knows this.

Second, it’s even worse: “every game on OGS” would have to include those pesky forum games.

Third, and seriously: at ~25k, you’re making progress, as you’re winning some games, which is awesome, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

And fourth, if it’s just that you’re missing some gratification, which I can very well understand, play peers, that is: play people around your current rank, ±1 or 2 stones. You should be winning slightly more than 50% then.
(Go statisticians pls correct me if I’m wrong.)

6 Likes

Not with that attitude.

7 Likes

Winning is subjective. What does winning mean to you? For me, it is to have tried my best. If I lose to a world champion, I do not expect to end the game with more points than my opponent. But, concerning self respect and feeling good about the experience, when I bring all that I am to that match and do my very best, I walk away with a deep sense of satisfaction.

Some quotes from a few of sports greatest:

• “It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game."
    - Grantland Rice

• “Winning isn’t getting ahead of others. It’s getting ahead of yourself.”
    - Roger Staubach

• “The key is not the will to win… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.”
    - Bobby Knight

• “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
    - Michael Jordan

• “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
    - Vince Lombardi

• “No matter how much you’ve won, no matter how many games, no matter how many championships, no matter how many Super Bowls, you’re not winning now, so you stink.”
    - Bill Parcells

• “I think my greatest victory was every time I walked out there, I gave it everything I had. I left everything out there. That’s what I’m most proud of.”
    - Jimmy Conors

• “I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.”
    - Yogi Berra

And for an ultra serious entry, here is one of my favorite poems about perseverance.

Invictus – William Ernest Henley
Out of the night that covers me,
     Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
     For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
     I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
     My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
     Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
     Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
     How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
     I am the captain of my soul.

7 Likes

second strongest on OGS is like 1000th in the world

Are we excluding players who only use OGS to lecture and give teaching games?

Because if we are, I don’t think that even the 1,000th strongest player in the world is here. There are at least 300 active professionals alone, I think (I originally said 500).

Who even is the strongest active player on OGS? You? One of the other correspondence titleholders?

The 1,000th strongest player in the world is probably on the level of people like Baduk Doctor and zchenmike, or Oscar Vazquez. Amateurs who are almost professionals.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, the usual advice in these types of situations is

GIT GUD

; )

If I may, here are some articles aimed at beginner players that may help you feel less lost in the process:

1 Like

Easy, just use AI. :joy:

For the average sports minded American these name are familiar, but for others not all of them may ring a bell.

1 Like

I’ve done some research, and found that my instinct for the number of active professionals was a great underestimation.

There are actually over 1,500 professional players active today.

None of them are playing serious games on OGS.

The more interesting question seems to be whether the strongest active player on OGS is even in the world’s top 10,000.

Live? Not a chance. Correspondence? Perhaps.

Who’s the strongest active live player on OGS? Nobody I know, unless GoDave or terrific are counted. But even they’re not really active.

1 Like

That’s the neat part. You don’t.

1 Like