How would I go about finding a mentor? I would like to be good enough to teach in Greenland

Born in Greenland and looking to go back, I would like to get good enough to each go in schools. But due to some learning disabilities I don’t feel confident about it, anyone else been to a journey like that? And tips or support anyone can suggest would be appreciated? :pray:t3:

7 Likes

What do you mean by “good enough”? Some 10 kyus can be good teachers.

9 Likes

And some professional 9p’s can be bad teachers.

8 Likes

As long as you can finish a game you can teach go. I mean you don’t need to have much knowledge on strategy and concepts.

Teach your friends, family members. Young people at schools or university… Get a not too heavy set of a regular size to carry with you.

Don’t try to convince people that go is wonderful. You’ll find people who will really want to play more and people who will not play again. That’s it.

With the first ones, meet again. When you get a few attracted people, try fix a meeting time in the week.

When you have a living go small community (even before if you wish), don’t be shy on asking your go federation (Danmark/EGF) for help. They should be involved in spreading go and could provide contacts, advices, material, and so on.

I have no idea how it works in Greenland but try to get people who should stay a bit on the place. Like for example uni students can be quickly motivated but may move far away soon. School children may have more local links but it may take longer and regularity to become a go player. Adults don’t have much time because they make money. Older are not always that open on new intellectual activity.

Ambassies/consulates or immigrants associations/meeting places of China/Korea/Japan can be sometimes useful places to get players (and help) too.

4 Likes

I will second all the already given advice and I have a few to add about the confidence issues:

a) When you are teaching something that noone knows or understands in the audience, it doesn’t really matter even if you make a mistake. As long as you, yourself, spot it and amend it later, noone would ever know.

b) Not being very good at teaching in the beginning is also reasonable and to be expected. Rare talents excluded, most people tend to be bad/mediocre at any activity when it is their first try.

A small anecdote for point a.
I was at the church a few months ago, the evening service, when they put trainee chanters sometimes to give them experience in a real service. I happen to have completed the four year course of the local chanting school and to my ears, that particular trainee was torture. Thank God I was wearing a mask because at some high notes, it was so bad that I involuntarily winched. It was THAT bad.
The service ends and the old ladies in the congregation where congradulating the trainee chanter on “how well the service went” and “how nice everything was”. :sweat_smile:

So, don’t worry or lose confidence over such issues. If the audience is there to learn or spectate, this means that they probably do not know enough about what you are doing/teaching to judge you anyway.

The same thing happened when we tried to make a marching band in the village. We made a mistake every 5 seconds in our first appearance, but who could tell other than us? Noone :wink:

Good luck in teaching!

3 Likes