How Would Top Players React If It Was Discovered AlphaGo cheats?

Supposed AlphaGo can predict your next move by reading your inner speech (microwave imaging of your face reveals a lot) and used that to pick exactly the move that will beat it.

Would top players still play against it? Would they accept it as a fair competitor?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if AIs are seen as ā€˜fair competitorsā€™ these days. Not much competition when they play against humans, really. Apart from that I canā€™t say what pros would think, but reading body language has always played a part in playing games, a lot in some (say: poker), less so in others. So if an AI got really good at it (ā€œThis isnā€™t the face of a person who knows how to use my weakness in the lower right, so Iā€™ll leave that aji there for a bit longer.ā€), that would just be part of the game for me.

7 Likes

Lee Sedol cheats is thatā€™s what you call reading body language, psychology, meta gaming, physical presence etc. These were a key part of Lee Sedolā€™s strength, but they were useless against AlphaGo with Aja Huang as its emotionless emanuensis.

There was a nice quote from Lee about why he goes for risky devastating wins. Heā€™s not just thinking about winning this game, heā€™s winning your next game against him too by crushing your spirit. If you are intimidated by him then you start second guessing and doubting yourself and donā€™t play your best.

P. S. AlphaGo retired several years ago so no one can play it.

9 Likes