Hurt/Heal Fuseki

Yeah, and without the A1 rule I don’t get to play A1.

I have the best idea ever. A juubango where each game, the player who would normally play black instead chooses the fuseki and how much komi (positive or negative) to give white and then the other player chooses which color to play! Since a one stone handicap must be given if one player is four games ahead, this could be facilitated simply by giving the player getting the handicap an extra standard komi if playing white or give white an extra negative komi if the player getting the handicap is black. This would be applied after the fuseki, komi, and colors are chosen.

Hurt orthodox
Heal cross hoshi

Updated to mark5000’s post.

Hurt: Chinese
Heal: Orthodox

Hurt Chinese
Heal Kobayashi

Updated to seigler’s post.

Heal Chinese
Hurt Miyamoto

Updated to yebellz’s post.

Bye, Miyamoto. ;(

Hurt: Chinese
Heal: Kobayashi

Heal chinese
Hurt nirensei

Heal Chinese
Hurt Jabberwocks

Hurt Chinese
Heal Cross Hoshi

I agree with mark5000’s view of the Kobayashi pattern, and in my own history the usefulness of the Kobayashi has been mostly illusory and short-lived. I sort of liked it when I was 8 kyu or so and sat on it as a predictable opening for a number of games at that kind of rank, which enabled me to focus on other aspects of my game, with a fairly routine arrangement between groups in at least one part of the board.

However, in terms of the ability to win games, it hasn’t proven to be very good to me; my amateur experience aligns with that of professionals. If I want to play a big-arc framework strategy as Black then I’d rather some variety of the mini chinese, an explicitly side-oriented nirensei with approach followed by three space high extension, or even the orthodox with a wide rather than narrow enclosure. If a mini/micro chinese framework is denied then I am comfortable with a Lei-type fuseki too.

So basically what I’m saying is that the Kobayashi needs to die before the Chinese, you silly gooses! I mean, come on, even Kobayashi had abandoned the Kobayashi when he was mustering the will to revive his career, in tribute to the memory of his late wife.

+chinese
-kobayashi

1 Like

You won me over.
Heal Chinese
Hurt Kobayashi

Hurt Kobayashi
Heal jabberwocks

1 Like

Updated to KoBa’s post.

Heal Mark
Hurt cross hoshi

Updated to legas’s post.

I had to assume you meant heal “Mark II Kobayashi” and not mark5000. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hurt Jabberwocks
Heal Chinese