I discovered a cool new shogi website

I think chess and shogi are great games. I happen to love go more, but I can totally understand that many people love chess and/or shogi.

I think I’m only slighty better than beginner at both chess and shogi (translated to go ranks, I would estimate somewhere between 20k and 15k, but I’m lacking game experience in both). In chess, I know some basic techniques and some basics about the opening. At my level, this chess knowledge seems to transfer fairly well to shogi.

I feel shogi is a bit “slower” than chess, because shogi has fewer long range pieces. Another big difference is that the board doesn’t really become emptier as the game progresses. A game of shogi is more like siege warfare or trench warfare, while chess is more like a battle on open terrain with a lot of mobile forces involved.

3 Likes

Check out the learn zone of lishogi. This shows how all the pieces move. Learn shogi - by playing! • lishogi.org. Also pychess.org has mini shogi and other shogi variants that are good for learning when starting out. See https://www.pychess.org/variant/minishogi

1 Like

Roger Hare is authors of shogi books & content available with links provided below.

http://eric.macshogi.com/shogi/roger/Introduction%20to%20Shogi.pdf

The above book has also been translated in Spanish, if you know of any people who are interested I can provide the link.

A video by Karolina Styczyńska (the Polish lady who is a Pro in Japan) is here:

Other link Roger provided is here.

http://www.shogifoundation.co.uk/

1 Like

When I first learned the rules of shogi and basic strategy, the video series by Hidetchi helped a lot.

2 Likes

Here are the invites to a couple of fairly active shogi discords. The Shogi Harbour is Karolina’s server.

By the way, how would one pronounce Styczyńska? I’ve been using “stichinska”, aka /stɪ’tʃɪnskə/.

I believe the cz is like an English ch, but with a more pronounced t sound, while the ń is like the ñ in Spanish.

Here’s a video:

2 Likes

Yes. :slight_smile: And the ‘y’ is similar to the French ‘e’ or the German ‘e’ and the end of a word - a bit like the Russian ‘ы’, so the ‘yń’ sounds somewhat like ‘ein’ / ‘ejn’.

1 Like

Roger recently threw together a short Shogi Resources document for a new player. He also posted it on the DropBox archive.

The URL is:

www.dropbox.com/s/w9y3gwyn40tn31l/Shogi%20Resources.pdf?dl=0

It’s basically the Bibliography from the ‘Introduction’. It extra sources of information not found via standard shogi resources.

Please can I correct the name Rodger to Roger in my recent post a few weeks ago. I spelt the author’s name wrong.

1 Like

I made this a month or two ago, could be useful. It’s a list of castle formations.

4 Likes

Fixed it for you

Why does everything have li- in front of it? Does it stand for something? lichess.org, lishogi.org?

1 Like

It stands for libre, an English adjective of French derivation, ultimately from Latin liber.

Wiktionary provides two relevant definitions:

1. (obsolete, rare) Especially of the will: free, independent, unconstrained.
  2. (software) With very few limitations on distribution or the right to access the source code to create improved versions

As such, it’s pronounced /li:/ (“lee”), not /laɪ/ (“lie”).

3 Likes

I have played a few games of shogi and a long time ago I read part of a book about shogi. The book discussed some castles and the one name that stuck to this day is the “bear-in-the-hole” castle. But I see it is not in your table. Is it perhaps unpopular or unsound?

It’s at four down, six across.

1 Like

Shinuito, Thank you for your comments. Lishogi is very new and under development. Please post your points on the forum at lishogi.org. I am sure the developer Wanderer will be able to add to the development schedule. Thanks for taking an interest. Overall lishogi is a great place to play, after you have overcome the initial barrier of learning the basics, which will require other resources than just lishogi itself.

4 Likes

Hey, no problem. I’ll check it out. The website looks good, and playing on it is fun. Will try to invite some friends to play on it too.

It’ll be good to see it take off.

I’ve been watching some of the videos Vsotvep linked.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind having a general shogi thread here on the forum, where we could discuss strategy, tactics, openings, joseki etc. and share resources.

Hidetchi’s channel is good, but sadly it’s been inactive for the past six years.

2 Likes

I tried looking at 81Dojo as well for shogi.

There’s more players but I still have no clue of how to set up a good attack or defence.

That and 81Dojo seems to have a lot of etiquette Shogi Etiquette - 81Dojo Docs

The actual software on 81Dojo allows you to lose by making an illegal move, but they tell you not to do that (linked above). I don’t know if it tells you that you’ve been mated either and I think you’re just supposed to resign.

I think lishogi is already off to a good start not having that stuff even if it’s traditional in some sense.

1 Like

Aww I just discovered this and now I have to play a game: the cute animals are just too cute! (Settings > Piece set > Next-to-last piece set)

2 Likes

That is the dobutsu (animal) shogi. There are such physical shogi sets made by Nekomado (I think the CEO of Nekomado is Madoka Kitao, who also made the byoyomi voice for 81dojo). You can get them from shogi.cz: Offer | Shogi

You can import it from Japan too: NEKOMADO Online SHOGI Shop / Variations

1 Like