I discovered a cool new shogi website

Shogi is a game, where both players try their best in order to win. We prohibit the act of intentionally making moves that are clearly not one’s best effort, considering it as an act of harassment, provocation, or insult.

81Dojo must be a complete arse to mod.

1 Like

Yeah I thought that as well. I’m ok and can accept the choice to make players lose a game when they make an illegal move (even though it’s a subset of the possible illegal moves**) but it seems like they make more work for themselves if they say things like

Examples: To keep capturing the opponent’s pieces even after one is clearly seeing a mate or decisive ending attack; to develop the king to the opponent’s camp in the opening; to exchange a bishop exchange in the opening with an intentional non-promotion; etc.

and

1. When you believe there is no chance of winning, you should make a resignation. (It is prohibited to choose a game loss intentionally with an illegal move, time-up, or disconnection.)

…especially saying it’s prohibited to lose by making an illegal move but allowing players to do it. They could easily just forbid illegal moves from being played. You also have to manually resign when you’re checkmated, it doesn’t let you know or end the game automatically.

** The allowed illegal moves that I’ve seen are ignoring a check or moving the king into a check, move a piece that allows a check on the king, placing two pawns in the same file. (I think I’ve done these in my first five games, and my opponent did it in one of those.) It is strange to allow some illegal moves, but I can’t move my pawn as if it were a bishop rook etc, those types of illegal moves can’t be played.

1 Like

I’m not sure, we do the same thing here for people who keep playing past endgame / start with playing only in the A column / etc.

1 Like

No; it detects mate and ends the game. You can lose by failing to resolve a check, though. The intention is that you will get used to never making those illegal moves and will not get caught out by them playing otb where it would be a forfeit.

I think the idea is that pieces always move the same way, so it’s no problem to just enforce it, but with check and nifu, you have to be paying attention to them in an otb game, and if you’re used to letting the client detect them, you may miss them, especially if you’re not that strong yet. While I don’t completely agree with a lot of Hidetchi’s shogi philosophy, having a more western view of Shogi as a pure abstract, I don’t think you’re being quite fair to the design choices made and the reasons therefore.

That said, I’m dropping 81dojo in favor of lishogi: anyone up for some games sometime? even or handicap.

Nice chart. Thanks!

1 Like

Chess pieces feel light, Shogi pieces feel heavy. Chess pieces feel like projectiles, Shogi pieces feel more like bombs – hard to lift, but when you do manage to drop it, it makes a hell of an explosion.

1 Like

Really depends on the chess pieces you’re using. I once played with a marble set, which was definitely heavy. Meanwhile, my shogi set seems to be made from birch, which is practically weightless to me. They give the clack-like explosion, though, certainly!

1 Like

I think he’s speaking metaphorically.

1 Like