I have been banned when creating a new account

I was playing a game and I got kicked off.
I can’t login anymore. Simply when I do it I do not receive any warning and it just doesn’t work.

I tried to create a new account and I received the message that I got banned.

What happened?
I’m completely new to Go, so I really have no idea.

5 Likes

Let me preface this my quoting one of my favourite sayings “Do not ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence”. It appears the OGS mod who banned you has the opposite view.

I saw one of your games linked in the chat eg https://online-go.com/game/25171898. What seems to have happened is because you should have lost your first few games against people ranked around 12 kyu (a lot stronger than a beginner at 30 kyu) if they were scored correctly, but instead either scored them incorrectly and won (I presume through your own incompetence rather than malice, or the incompetence of the OGS auto score feature) or bored them into resigning because you didn’t resign a game you were losing so much, you ended up getting an unrealistically high rank. So you played too strong people and bored them into resigning or timeouts too. At this point a moderator should have annulled those games and spoken to you about the process of how to score (in the linked game all of white’s stones were incorrectly marked as dead, and lots of dead black stones were incorrectly marked as alive) and the etiquette of resigning. But instead you just got banned? Sorry to hear that, that’s not how we should treat new players.

5 Likes

Hello Tiwi,

the account was banned due to what we percieved as repeated cheating attempts (by altering the correct score before accepting the result). One of our moderators did try to contact you about the issue, but got no response and instead the problem re-appeared in following games.

We have unbanned your account, and if it was a genuine misunderstanding we do appologize, it can sometimes happen.

If you are not sure how scoring works, feel free to contact me, I would be happy to point you to some documentation and tutorials (or discuss questions) to clear things up so we can prevent future misunderstandings.

Sorry about the trouble and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I know they track IP adresses so that is why you got banned in your second account (probably but not sure)

2 Likes

Hello guys,
Thanks everyone for the support and for taking some time to reply to me.

Yes, I had completely no idea what I was doing to be honest and quite probably I did something wrong with the end game part. I just followed the Beginner tutorial and at the end it says you are supposed to remove pieces from the board. I couldn’t really understand why in some games it didn’t allow me to do it and I kept on spamming that feature somehow. I thought it was a bug but now I see that probably it was the other player who was obviously not happy about it.

Can anyone help me understand better what that phase is supposed to do? The way I understand it now, after I just understood that it was not a bug, is that the two players have to agree on which pieces to remove, is that correct? Why isn’t that done automatically?

4 Likes

The stones (we call the pieces stones, since on a real board they’re usually made of stone) that should be removed are those stones that are dead. To decide which stones are dead, try to imagine if it’s possible to capture them. A group that cannot be captured is called alive.

If the players disagree at the end which stones are dead and which ones are alive, you can resume the game to find out. If you can’t remove the stones by playing the game, then you’re also not allowed to remove them at the end of the game.

6 Likes

Ok I see.

I’ll do my best to learn the end game better! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By the way, with this game linked above scoring is actually quite tricky, since the game hasn’t been finished properly: some areas have not been decided yet, since the borders between black and white areas have not been closed off.

Here is a video explaining how to score a game in real life (with computers it’s actually easier, but it’s good to know how it’s done to understand what the computer expects):

Also, feel free to ask around if you’re not sure.

9 Likes

Alright thanks a lot :pray:t2:

1 Like

@tiwi We’ve tried several times to reach you, since you’re still scoring games incorrectly. The score estimator usually gets it right, and your opponents should help correct the mistakes even if it isn’t right. So just click “accept” after each game until you know what you’re doing. Repeated incorrect scoring starts to look intentional, and we may ban the account if it continues. I’m sorry, but that’s what it comes down to.

8 Likes

Oh really?
I’m trying to accept every time to avoid any issue.
I’ll definitely keep an eye on it.
Please try reviewing my games, some time I even feel like the other player is actually trying to exploit the end game but for sure I must be wrong if you say so.
I’m i by he meantime studying the end game to understand better.
I promise I’m not interested “cheating”, I’m just not sure what I’m doing that’s it.

1 Like

I checked, I’m not receiving your messages in game.
Where did you try to contact me?

1 Like

On move 92 your opponent has passed, but you continue playing stones. If you feel your opponent has missed something, it would be helpful to say so in the chat, otherwise it just looks like you’re playing on for the sake of wasting time on a game ready for scoring. If your opponent passes, it almost certainly means the game is over and you should pass as well. If the score estimator shows dame adjacent to territory, that would be an unfinished border and you can resume the game, though there is a fine line between realizing during scoring that the game wasn’t finished, and exploiting it to get SE in a no SE game. I believe there have been debates on this in the forums; I’m not sure if there’s a concencus, though just playing area scoring clears a lot of issues up.

6 Likes

Please see our documentation here:

And let me know any questions you have.

In short, there is a scoring phase after consecutive passes. In this phase, make sure all stones you think deserve to survive have a solid coloring. Faded color signifies dead stones. The whole board should never consist solely of faded stones.

4 Likes

Alright thanks guys. :muscle:t2:

1 Like

By personal message. See this:

Personal messages usually appear on the lower right of your screen, depending on your browser. Click it, and a private chat view pops up.

3 Likes

Guys I’m not sure what’s up, but I got banned again :man_shrugging:t2:

I have been playing alright, I’m sure, but maybe I’m not accepted here.

Thanks anyway for your support to anyone who helped me.

2 Likes

Tiwi and his alt DartTiwi scored cheated or attempted to score cheat in 8 games, was warned four times by two moderators, and given extensive explanations and instructions. Enough!

13 Likes