I think the 13k default rank is doing harm [Closed]

Yea that makes more sense to me as well.

I from the beginning thought that we’re humbling rating, after all rank is just a social construct cosmetics to keep kyu/dan tradition.

Hmm - there’s an extent to which this is just a technicality of which number is used in the matchmaking system. Since the limits we can set in matchmaking are rank-based, I’d thought that rank is what’s used thoughout, so the humble rank would be what’s needed to feed in.

FWIW, the original ticket raised by lemurk was titled " Introduce humble rank for display/matchmaking", and said

"One of the proposed solutions suggests introduction of ‘humble rank’ concept, which corresponds to lower confidence boundary of glicko-2 rating (i.e. rating - deviation) for display / matchmaking purposes. "

But, actually it doesn’t matter whether we use the humble rank or its reference point the humble rating for matchmaking, what matters is that we don’t confuse the issue by the way that we display it.

That would mean, at the very least, that if a person has a glicko rating of 1500 ±350, the humble rating or humble rank number should not show up with ±350. There is only one exact number used for matchmaking, that’s how it needs to appear. IMO.

I would also expect that a person’s actual glicko rating with its uncertainty is what shows on the profile in the graph. The matchmaking value (humble value) is a line that would start at the bottom of the uncertainty envelope and work its way up to the glicko rating depending on how that formula works.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Many Faces of Go for years and I still like it. You can get a trial version on a 9x9 board free. Playing with people is much better, but I still play a lot with Many Faces of Go. For one thing, I can start a game with Many Faces of Go any time and not worry about hurting my opponent’s feelings if something or someone interrupts me and I want to stop playing in the middle of a game.

I think it’s very helpful for learning go too, but don’t just play a computer player. They don’t play exactly like humans, so you can develop bad habits that work against the computer program but not against people. You also get more variety playing people, and, you know, you are paying fellow human beings.

1 Like

Conclusion:

After a lot of good discussion, solution proposal etc, “Humble Rank” has been implemented to address the concerns raised in this post.

So if there are new or residual issues/questions, they deserve a new thread :slight_smile:

9 Likes