I think the 13k default rank is doing harm [Closed]

If you require that all statements be falsifiable, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially when personal opinion is involved. My point is that

1. I doubt there is a problem big enough to warrant messing with rank calculation for everyone.
  2. Except for a handful of people who seem a little disgruntled but actually have stuck around, there is little evidence to the contrary.
  3. It may very well be that this lack of disgruntled masses is due to survivor bias, therefore we could very well attempt to falsify my hypothesis that the “glicko 13k change” did not make matters worse than they were, as measured by newcomer dropout rate, approximated by the ratio of active/total accounts.
  4. My proposal has shortcomings, I ackowledge them, I could work out a more thorough proposal but that would imply more work than I’m getting paid for so I left the more thorough test to your imagination for now.

My opinion also doesn’t (and shouldn’t) keep anyone from posting their ideas for improvement. All I’m saying is - try to think of things that acknowledge how the glicko system works best and find ways to ameliorate those (hypothesized) effects you seem to find so detrimental, without messing with it.