I want to make go friends in my city (mumbai) :)

Does anyone know of some place where go is played in mumbai or someone that is from mumbai and willing to meetup for matches. I have not played anything but internet go and want to play people.

American Go Association page Go Organizations Around the World (http://www.usgo.org/go-organizations-around-world) does not list India. Strange.

The DragonGoServer (DGS) user list has only 3 ā€œactiveā€ who identify India as country and a total of only 36 extant accounts

I couldnā€™t find an India room at KGS.

Surprising. Maybe it would be safer for you to take up chess or blackjack.

1 Like

blackjack as a replacement for goā€¦ kidding?

1 Like

well thanks for the research though

I guess you should contact the Indo Amateur Go Association http://www.intergofed.org/members/members-pages-asia/india.html

2 Likes

You might want to try OGS :wink:

@11144 that would be a good place to ask.

2 Likes

To @11144: Are you on FB?

There are two Indian Go groups/pages I know of, maybe you can find IRL Go buddies on one of these?

[quote]A Go community in India. Group of Go enthusiasts who live in or around India. A community to discuss and share ideas, experience and play online.

We play at ā€œIndia Go Clubā€ Room at http://www.gokgs.com/
[/quote]

• India Go Baduk Weiqi Board Game, a community page (ā€œ155 people like thisā€, but of course probably many people from outside of India, Iā€™m one of them :wink: )

To @Aten:

After having visited the link @mlopezviedma gave:

OIC, when I try to visit the domain gogame.co.in in the contact email address, Iā€™m redirected to current-solutions.us which seems to be some construction company.

Is this what youā€™re referring to?

This I donā€™t understand.

This I understand even less.

Maybe Iā€™m being dense ā€¦ could you please explain it like youā€™d explain for a five year old kid? :slight_smile: Maybe the difficulty is that youā€™re using somewhat poetic language that flies miles over my head ā€¦ there may be ambiguities which get lost, too, or worse: mis(?)interpreted as being ā€¦ unhelpful ā€¦ or maybe even insulting ā€¦ and I wonder whether it might be helpful to at least add some explaining words for the plebs (to which I count myself)? :wink:

Generalisation perhaps? But in the following you present a friendlier interpretation:

I know (albeit virtually) at least four Indians who play Go, so then these would be ā€œsimpler specimensā€ of that population? :wink: Too dumb NOT to play Go? Thatā€™s funny :smiley:

[quote=ā€œAten, post:7, topic:12486ā€]
What is the popular board game in India?
[/quote]I cannot say what ā€œthe popular board gameā€ is but from my childhood in India (in the 1960s) I remember that we often played Carrom.

This isnā€™t the answer you are looking for but could you consider setting up a go club in your town/city if there isnā€™t one. It would be an investment as you would probably be the strongest player for a while but in a few months/years time you will have even opponents to play!

4 Likes

I believe Iā€™ve seen at least one 3d on OGS with Indian origin. Also, there are Indian players at every WAGC. Fewer players, yes, but that means the OP might have the chance to become a national champion if he/she keeps playing :wink:

3 Likes

I think the caveat is that ā€˜white men canā€™t jumpā€™ is supposed to be a misconception in the context it seems to be used here (I just googled it) and thus he secretly (very secretly) means that Indians actually can play go but every one else thinks we canā€™t.

And, well, chess is popular ā€˜enoughā€™ here, but I like go more, much less memory intensive I think. And go reading is somehow fun while I find chess reading exhausting, that being said I am not a bad chess player given I have no formal training and play like once in a blue moon.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t mean anything, I thought Iā€™d kiddingly write ā€œmaybe Indians canā€™t play Goā€ but decided someone would take it seriously and maybe have a fit. Including the reference to White Men Canā€™t Jump was a c.y.a. move. Except for a connection with basketball, I thought it was a book on sociology or the like; turns out itā€™s an old comedy film.

Oh, just noticed that a couple previous replies show even that didnā€™t work. Which should I have used when the humor seems obvious (to me)? :grinning::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent::wink::laughing::angel:

If I have to communicate at a 5 year olds level level I could be president of the USA but unless confronted with a toddler in the flesh itā€™s too hard. Weā€™re both out of luck: you donā€™t get explanations for all those comments and Iā€™m not qualified to have the codes to annihilate all life on earth but cockroaches.

dude, we kinda know and we are just bullying youā€¦ (kinda)

I replied to:
SanDiego4d Aten
Aten:
I couldnā€™t find an India room at KGS
You might want to try OGS :wink:
to which I said
Gimme a break, if the guy is here he can look for stuff here himself.
so Iā€™m giving other ideas and not investigating OGS for him.
and this
Since heā€™s in India and seems in the dark itā€™s sensible not to shine a narrow beam of light into the dark hole he has fallen into; rather illuminate a path to freedom.
means if heā€™s in India and is asking here about something in his own locale, it makes a lot more sense to offer a number of other options instead of suggesting he focus his efforts at OGS instead of casting a wider netā€¦

1 Like

Oh. Iā€™ll keep that in mind - all obtuseness should be discounted as passive-aggressive acting out. Thanks for clearing that up! :innocent: (kinda) :wink:

Sorry for bumping an old conversation. Iā€™m a Go fanatic from India, currently in Bangalore. In fact, Iā€™m the owner of the FB page mentioned above (https://www.facebook.com/IndiaBaduk/). Itā€™s really nice to see people interested in the game here, but itā€™s hard to find people IRL who are interested. If youā€™re interested, we can definitely meet some time when youā€™re around here?

Also, the IAGA website was hacked, then down, then the domain went up for sale, and I purchased it and revamped it :smiley: --> https://gogame.co.in/

5 Likes