If you had $1,000 for the Go community

I have to ask, why it’s not “Go players studying fuseki”?

3 Likes

Right, it’s just my personal feeling (read: speculation) that most amateur go players don’t study fuseki as much as joseki, because there are so many whole board variations in go in the beginning, so players can deviate from (what is believed to be) the optimal lines without suffering a big disadvantage. So studying joseki may give a bigger advantage than studying fuseki.

3 Likes

It is very good, but the cost will really depend on how high profile the content creator is.
I have often wondered how much a Go related sponsorship would be for a YT channel for example, but I am not sure if that would do much. A “learn to play Go stream” which you suggest would be much better indeed. :slight_smile:

While I totally agree with that and I constantly promote exactly that sentiment ( also because I have a horrible memory :innocent: ). All I am saying is that for a normal person like me the ceiling of intuition and basic strategies in Chess, is far below where you could reach with Go by knowing some basic shapes.

The key issue remains that in Go if you do not know a joseki, you can infer a totally different pattern based on shapes that might yield a similar/fair result and even if it not that good, there is still a huge board and a lot of time to make up for it.
In Chess, if you do not know some basic openings and their exact proper responses, you have lost without almost any hope of recovery. The margin of error is different, mostly due to the different sizes of the board ( I am not dissing on chess as a game. I love playing chess )

1 Like

There is not a huge amount of knowledge to learn about fuseki IMO. Some openings (like san-ren-sei and Chinese opening) have deeper branches (almost like a large joseki). But other than that, fuseki knowledge is mostly about development principles (corners, sides, balancing 3rd/4th line, extension distance, bases, sente, moyo, …). Those development principles are relevant when choosing one joseki (variation) or another.

And (AFAIK, I’m only a DDK chess player) chess also has development principles which can be recognized in many chess openings (control the center with pawns, develop minor pieces, castle, …). I’d say that learning about those development principles is similar to fuseki study in go.

To play a good opening in both chess and go, it’s good to know about those development principles and to have seen those applied in many games. But that doesn’t require a lot of rote learning. It’s more about growing your understanding of those principles. Lessons, lectures, books and commented pro game study are probably more useful, or even just playing experience and good reviewing of your games.

5 Likes