I'm leaving from ogs community, this is why :

yes it’s “just” about bots, sorry for the annoyance

replace “bot” with “some random human player”, then suddenly everyone agrees it is bad behaviour

replace “some random human player” with “some famous human streamer or player”, then everyone is supporting the player

replace “any human” with “any bot player”, then “it’s just a bot”, “no one cares”, “it happens everyday”, “the bot admin is free to do what it wants with his toy” (now that last one may sound funny if you replace “bot admin” with “parent” or “bot” with “child”, or replace “bot admin” with “man” and “bot” with “woman”)

no, if something belongs to you it does not grant you the rightfulness to do whatever you want with it, it is called responsibility,
should i even mention that by misusing and toying with a bot and a public website, you are disrespecting the website makers, as well as the software designers
if it is too hard to understand for you, go to the first example and replace “any bot player” by “any car brand new i just bought today, and that i feel like making crash because its just funny for me”
now, you are indeed free to do what you want with it, but if you are harmful you should pay the consequences of your choice
freedom without responsibility is nothing but anarchy

again, i am seeing more and more clearly that ogs is not a place that values bots, nor is most of its population, nor are they willing to strongly and actively put an important emphasis on protecting one’s pride and right to be respected, except if this person is noble enough

ok, we just have different values, ok, i’m now moving out of a place that does not value bots and people’s rights enough, staying as a silent guest only with no involvment
this is not a generalization, only the most common behaviour, but this is enough for me not wanting to be active on the community anymore

maybe this is my last message now, bye

Because humans can actually think, whereas bots are just a computer program designed to come up with a move? They literally don’t have the possibility to feel like things are a waste of time, or to be annoyed, or to feel hurt. They’re bots.

Also, that’s is not how replacing works. It’s okay to throw rocks in the river, it’s not okay to throw babies in the river. That’s because they’re different things. Replace “sandwich” with “Ke Jie” and you see that they’re different things and you can’t put peanut butter on one, cut it half and eat it, while you can with the other.

This is just getting silly…

6 Likes

yes, bots are playthings, they are not valued here

this is enough of a reason for me not to belong to this place anymore
well then, i wont be answering any further message, now we both stated our views i’ll finally leave from here, again, farewell, i’m not answering anymore

You’ve said you’re leaving four times already, yet you’re still here, so good luck with that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems like Nick Sibicky agrees, quite a coincidence

These are very similar reasons to mine for leaving the last game/server i used to frequent daily before i started playing go as a replacement. There even was a mod corresponding to “adamR” that didn’t deserve the tone i took with him when arguing about very similar issues on that server. When the problem is apathy, people start getting blamed for standing still.

As a fellow salty player, i think this is as much on us as it is on the servers/moderators/admins. Too long a time in any game server is likely to reveal all it’s faults and disturb the players who love the game too much and want as good a community to share it with.

I respect your decision for leaving but recommend not holding yourself to that. Perhaps if/when you become a more casual member of the community rather than “an activist”, those issues might stop bothering you as much. In the end, whatever people are doing/being allwed to do, ogs still offers something valuable.

A minor point, but dear to my heart.

This is not true.

As more bot games get paused, it takes longer and longer to load the bot’s profile page, until it becomes useless.

Then you can’t see the message about the bot from the maintainer, nor review how it is going.

This is how the people who are indefinitely pausing bot games are damaging function of bots.

In order to prevent us all from this, I have spent really considerable time cleaning up paused games, and continue to do so when it crops up, so that the profile of the bot in question will load again. It takes time because it can only be done one game at a time, and not with a single click.

So please don’t pause bot games.

GaJ

4 Likes

Why don’t bots just unpause the game, either immediately, or after a short break of maybe five or ten minutes?

Aren’t the game lists paginated? If not, why not?

3 Likes

The game lists of concluded games are, but the ongoing games are not.

Counted 29. I’m actually surprised that your hyperbole was closer to being right than to being wrong. :confused:

About “Why doesn’t … (paginate, unpause… etc)” …

… because the dev resources are limited and focussed on other priorities at this time.

In addition to the fact that Adam pointed out, which is these very questions - the question of “what is the best way to solve this problem?” is still being discussed - along with many many others.

For each person, it’s natural that their priority seems like the most important one.

For some people, it is too frustrating to be able to accept that there are actually other priorities, and they are actually being worked on ahead of that one that is most important to them.

Meanwhile, just don’t pause bots eh? :slight_smile:

GaJ

2 Likes

@Metaphysician_splurg, I am sorry to hear that you are leaving and for your experience with OGS, but I must make something very clear: Bots are not people they are not “clever” in any way. They are created by us to perform a certain task and, quite realistically, they can be pretty good at that. Indeed they are usually better at playing Go than people. But they are like animals (and actually not even quite as “intelligent” as animals being that they are not living), in the sense that they can’t reason, and they are only here because we created these things. They are absolutely just toys. With all due respect, I find your ideas rather childish.

Life is a grind, and one must accept that. The world will never be perfect, and neither will OGS. As people we are here to play Go and interact with each other, and there will always be a bad apple, but that is just life. You are your own person, so go ahead and leave if you feel inclined.

Mr. GoBoard will now say goodbye.

4 Likes

Is there a way to disable the pause option for such games?

No … it is a new problem and as such any solution will need to be coded.

GaJ

The real time API already contains a resume function. This allows a bot to be programmed to resume a paused game. No OGS dev resources required.

1 Like

I believe the gnugo bot is run by @anoek :slight_smile:

https://online-go.com/player/58441/

1 Like

The bot owner can disable pause. If they use the gtp2ogs script (as provided by the ogs GitHub page) they just have to set ‘nopause’

https://github.com/online-go/gtp2ogs/blob/devel/docs/OPTIONS-LIST.md

7 Likes

Even easier! :slightly_smiling_face:

This is all great information.

Interestingly, then, what it does is shift the onus to bot owners.

If there is a bot with a profile page that won’t load, thanks to the good information above, we now know we can say to the bot owner “do somefink” :slight_smile:

Thanks for that!

GaJ

PS: on this topic:

Only in the sense that anoek pulls the public code down. He welcomes pull requests to fix issues with that bot, but his precious resources are not directed to fixing those himself