Images of olden times

Yes, they are.

I thought if that were the case the design would be more traditional i.e. Plain solid block w/ornate carved feet. But that’s still just speculation.

According to the Russian article @lysnew linked, the other board is of Korean origin. The resonating tension wires, ornate Hoshi points and natural stones point to some meditative purpose beyond just a strategy game.

1 Like

I didn’t notice on the smaller image, but there are actually a whole 16 extra hoshi markers than we would expect on a Japanese board. It gives me an idea for a subtler form of ornate hoshi though: four dots on tengen and the corners, one dot on each of the four side hoshi. I reckon if you didn’t join the dots up, and you did them in red instead of black, they’d have an understated Oriental feel like an old Mahjong set.

2 Likes

Just asked a Russian friend from St Petersburg to translate, this is what he replied:

“Nah, just an old school swastika. Came from Korea, but originally is from Tibet”

4 Likes

No Nazi conspiracy? :frowning: damn.

I don’t think we have shared this one yet :slight_smile:

Drawn by Ichiyusai Kuniyoshi

Each of the fifty-four chapters of The Tale of Genji is named and is associated with a crest called a ‘Genji-mon’. In this series, each of the first fifty-four prints portray various scenes from history, legend, and literature that are suggested by a specific chapter of the novel and the appropriate Genji-mon is shown in the upper left cartouche with a poem. This series consists of one design for each of the fifty-four chapters and six supplementary designs.

6 Likes

Kita Fumiko was professionally active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was the strongest female player of her time, reaching 6p. She played regularly against other professionals, including Honinbo Shuei.

13 Likes

In this excerpt from the fourth issue of the British Go Journal, published in March 1968, the reader is presented with a discussion of a few basic joseki relating to the high approach to a komoku. These are the first diagrams to appear in the Journal.

The first photograph, though, did not appear until the next issue, published in June of the same year. It shows “most of the players present” at the first British National Go Congress. The John Diamond mentioned in the article was also the technical editor of the journal.

5 Likes

IIRC Jon Diamond is still active in the British Go Association and the community.

1 Like

Wow, a real old-timer.

1 Like

Very weird game of Go they play on the cover of this version :thinking:

7 Likes

Looks like Backgammon to me. Specifically, the Japanese minor variant Ban-Sugoroku (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugoroku#Ban-sugoroku).

6 Likes

Yeah. But its gets weider if you zoom in to the right, where they obviously talk about Go, but with some very weird courtesies…

Sit up straight? Ok.:smile:

Do not blow smoke in opponents face? :no_mouth:

Try to win by play Superiour Go? :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Check, check, aaaaaaaaaaand check?

4 Likes

They don’t say a word about periodically spraying your opponent with a super-soaker. So I guess that is OK.

XGO (Extreme GO)?

6 Likes

Yes, definitely Japanese backgammon. The illustration in the Wikipedia article is virtually identical. Major goof by the project manager/editors/proofers at the company that produced that game box.

3 Likes

which side wins the game?

5654ba633f2ecbefe842c09be77c20a1
-18ef372a0153bb0d24221dfaf4743456

7 Likes

Oh oh oh finally! I knew you were supposed to YELL ATARIIIIIIIIII every time you can. This will make squeezes even so much better! And maybe beginners will learn ladders faster that way :smiley:

6 Likes

I really like that turquoise set. It looks a lot like my current ogs settings

3 Likes

“Robert M. Ryder, an active AGA administrator, kept meticulous organizational records as well as careful records of what seems to be the majority of his games. He played many others, and some names are easily recognized, as in this record of a game he played with Go Seigen in Murray Hill, New Jersey in November of 1971. Anyone familiar with Go Seigen’s visit or Robert Ryder’s activity in the AGA is encouraged to contact AGA Archivist Karoline Li at archives@usgo.org.”

“The Nihon Ki-in hosted the first International Amateur Go Tournament in 1963, which was attended by AGA administrator Robert M. Ryder of New Jersey. The packet included in Mr. Ryder’s papers in the archives includes the rules, schedule, and ephemera from what is marked as the first international go tournament held in Tokyo, Japan. Participating countries: Austria, England, West Germany, The Netherlands, The Republic of China, The Republic of Korea, The United States of America, Yugoslavia, and Japan.”

Clearly an interesting fellow, this Robert Ryder.

14 Likes

Sorry for my poor English,I don’t understand the meaning of " squeeze" here .And according to the following steps, white wins the game for killing the whole k6 group.In fact black’s k6 goup and o9 have to be killed at least one.