Images of olden times

I’m glad that you like the picture. There are many other styles chessbord pictures.Maybe it will be better that ogs can allow us to upload our own pictures as background of chessboard.

3 Likes

Hm? :slight_smile: squeeze is a series of atari basically that does not result into capture, but ruins opponents shape (https://senseis.xmp.net/?SqueezeTesuji). And that comment was not aimed at any game, but at the Misjamig’s picture, where the rulebook seems to propose you should say atari everytime there is one. I found the though of saying atari five times in a row very annoying (to a potential opponent) and funny :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, you tell me a website to learn English term of go.xD

1 Like

I’m so doing this from now on! :smiley:

2 Likes

In my gaming group we yelled “Die M$#@#r F&%$#r!” instead of Atari. It was closer to the true spirit of what we were trying to do.

7 Likes

Assembly goban signed by Yasui Sentetsu (the 6th head of the Yasui house – 1775-1780) said to be made by the Edo era goban master Takanashi Kiyoe.

To read more about this beautiful and deeply cool piece, check out https://tchan001.wordpress.com/2017/06/28/39-assembly-goban-signed-by-yasui-sentetsu/. The linked article also has a lot more images. I’d love to own it, but I’d just spill tea on it or something… Definitely the most interesting goban I’ve seen, and the bowls are great as well.

20 Likes

Wow this was a steal for only approx. USD5000.

2 Likes

I’d KILL for that Goban. Oh well, but only some stones. Sent those photos to a woodworker genius friend who also (but too infrequently) plays Go … maybe he’s interested in making one or two like that.

5 Likes

9e67d7258fec228bd1dbab2b52e79993

13 Likes

11 Likes

That’s a very interesting image: a snake interfering with a go game. Where is this from? Any background info?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks. I thought the snake might have some traditional symbolism here or might be part of a historical allusion, but it appears to be a literary association. The figure, Fujikawa Mizuemon, is a murderer in a kabuki play, and the sons of the murdered man seek revenge. Presumably the snake is one attempt to kill him.

4 Likes

The whole “go” collection in the British Museum Web site is worth checking out … it even contains a set of twelve ukiyo-e erotica shunga with a goban (and maybe a tsumego, not sure) to which I cannot post a link here but you’ll find it yourself if you click the link.

2 Likes

15 Likes

Hmm, I wonder whether anyone’s slipped a goban into at least one of the countless rooms in the houses of NPCs, in those good old Japanese pixel RPGs.

4 Likes

Kind a strange type of go set!joc-vechi-go1 joc-vechi-go-2 joc-vechi-go-arta3

11 Likes

Looks like the pieces are pawns from a peg-style, portable chess set. I’ll bet the manufacturer produced such chess sets and branched out into go because the crossover in pieces would be a great cost-saving in the manufacturing process. Very interesting, I think.

6 Likes

Strange indeed. Of course it is from France.
:grin:

3 Likes

Are they actually holes in the board? It’s hard to see. If they are, then yeah - “Portable Go set”. If they are not, then… wha??

2 Likes