Imagine a baduk salon like this:

Long ago a user wrote this: " Rest it on top of a cleaned tatami surface in the centre of a dedicated, Japanese-style room. There should be a clean water source outdoors, whether powered artificially or found naturally. Install a Japanese bamboo fountain there and let the sound of trickling water sooth your mind. Next, I recommend a fine sprinkle of aged gyokuro tea, served in an extravagant ceramic teapot on a small table (or on the floor if it tickles your fancy) around the goban.

For ideal condition of play, plant a sakura tree near the bamboo fountain and lightly decorate your surroundings with a zen garden. Some fine grained sand and large rounded marblestones fits well with the scene. I recommend making 3 rotations with the iron rake around each marble stone for best aesthetic effect.

If the atmosphere feels lacklustre still, try growing some native Japanese ferns in medium sized ceramic pots. Neatly arrange them on a browned wooden bench, preferably beside the bamboo fountain and no more than 2m away from the sakura tree.

Ideally, play on a fine weather and keep the sliding doors open so that the outdoor scenery is fully visible throughout the game. The drifting sakura leaves in times of bloom is a rather pleasant view.

As with all serious Go player, a warrior’s fan will instil the kiai of a truly masterful go player in you. The kind that unfolds with such a crisp sound – every last millisecond of it oozes confidence. The fan should span five times your palm size. Use it when you’re deep in thought. To intimidate your opponent, add a subtle smirk as you wave the fan, as if everything is going according to plan.

Last but not least, don’t forget the nice cushions to kneel on for both your and your opponent! For the full experience when budget allows, purchase some kimonos too" -Issho

I just thought how cool it would be if a GO salon like that existed. Heaven.

5 Likes

This description reminds me of the Kamakura jubango, the 1939–41 ten-game match played between Go Seigen and Kitani Minoru at the Buddhist temples of Kamakura (a city near Tokyo).

Slate and Shell published a book about it, which I think has now gone out of print.

Not sure I would appreciate the extra sound of a fountain or the taste of the tea. Besides all these reference looks more oriented for a igo salon as a baduk salon?
Well I’m no expert in Japanese culture so i can’t see it as heaven myself. When i think about ideal places to play I see more asthounishing sceneries like edge of the sea or mountains, forests… Taking in account confort and quietness.

3 Likes

4 YEARS LATER

How do you find these threads??

Not all caps because

2 Likes

From this post:

2 Likes