Improve your SDK fighting abilities šŸ½

Interlude 1

Hi Happy researchers, i put down 8 much easier problems for who are still battling too much with their reading.
These are like really pure easy reading, a warm-up to come back here after. I hope it will prove to be useful for some.

No solution to these, read them thoroughly, be sure you have the solution for each. Contact me with a screenshot if you have a doubt on one of them.
Black to play in each problem.

3 Likes
Refutation

sdk3

2 Likes

Thanks ! I see it!

1 Like
Thoughts on problem 4

Edit: I used the wrong variation of the demo but the idea is the same.

My idea is this:
sdk4
White threatens either to capture two stones with A, or two other stones in a ladder with B.

However if White doesnā€™t have the ladder, I donā€™t see how White can get a good result if Blackā€™s next move is at M3, so I donā€™t know how to play as White.

I thought that instead of 5 in the diagram, White way want to play M3, Black M2, White L2 and connect to the outside but then White crawls on the second line while Black gets great thickness, so this canā€™t be good for White.

1 Like
Continued

So if the ladder doesnā€™t work, I canā€™t get a better result than this.

sdk4-2

White sacrifices the corner stones and gets a thick wall in exchange.
Note that Black canā€™t play 12 at T2, otherwise White has a tombstone tesuji.

sdk4-3

@jlt

half spoiler

Try to go for influence (wall the outside)

@Groin

Isnā€™t that what I did in the last message? Or are you saying there is a better variation?

Start like first answer but then squeeze with the 3 stones sacrifice. Your result is more oriented to the side.

@ :pig_nose:

This?

sdk

The copy of the position is wrong but otherwise yes. Starting from the correct position my opinion is that squeeze gives a superior result.

05 Do your best

Black to play

IMG_20211121_201802

2 Likes

Oh sorry I used the wrong branch to make the diagrams, but anyway the idea is the same.

Iā€™ll leave problem 5 to someone else, I think itā€™s much easier.

1 Like

Too easy?
For everyone?

1 Like
Answer

Loose ladder.

Screen-11-29-2021_31242_PM

3 Likes
My reasoning for problem 5

Black is alive in the corner but heā€™s completely surrounded.
Two black stones are dead.
Three white stones are weak, but nonetheless stronger than the two black stones.
Black can try and push those three stones to separate Q8 from other white stones.

But that seems a very weak result for a problem.
I suppose black should find a way to save his stones by capturing white groupā€¦ but I canā€™t figure how.

Q5 atari, white extends, then what?
A nose tesuji? I canā€™t read the outcome.
Pushing from top or bottom doesnā€™t seem promising either.
Dunno. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

When I look at matches between strong players such as in the European Championship, I constantly see surprising moves. From this I conclude that one of the reasons why we are still kyu players is that we generally donā€™t consider a sufficiently wide range of moves.

1 Like

I see them since I started playing Go! :wink:
Some are now part of my toolbox.
Some I still donā€™t understandā€¦

Definitely.
And often I donā€™t consider a sufficient wide range of variations.
Even when Iā€™m aware of their existence, I canā€™t scan them all. I focus on those that seem more reasonable and forget about the others.

2 Likes
spoiler @Lys

Instead of pushing, can you try to surround them? Only check you re safe with liberties

1 Like
Maybe I got it

If black Q6 white canā€™t cut.
I didnā€™t notice before.

If white Q5, black P5 atari and itā€™s a ladder.
If white extends R6, black R7 keeps it with just 2 liberties, so white canā€™t make it to capture the two stones before being captured.

So Q6 is a net.
Is that right?

2 Likes

Yes, your answer is the same as mine.

2 Likes