In-game chat notifications

I keep missing chat comments from my opponent during a (correspondence) game. I can only see them if I scroll down, which I don’t do for every single move. I often notice them only after days or weeks, which makes me feel bad for not responding.
Is there a way to add notifications for in-game chat additions on the top of the screen, e.g. by adding them to the green group chat notification icon, or in the same way as the post-game chat notification?

3 Likes

Im not sure i like the proposed solutions of adding another notification to the top bar, but I do have this same problem. Very easy to miss new chat on mobile!

One note: if this is also a mobile issue for you, it might be worth it to check out the apps and see if they have this figured out.

MrAlex’s android app “Online Go” is excellent for chat notifications.

3 Likes

I would like to bump this topic, as I believe there are definitely more of us with the same issue, as I get those “sorry I haven’t seen your msg” too many times. :slight_smile:

I think what @eltjopoort suggests:

• adding them to the green group chat notification icon, or
  • in the same way as the post-game chat notification

is not “adding another notification to the top bar” - rather, it is to reuse the existing system for them.

I really don’t want to complicate things further, but since this thread opened, there has also been quite a change in the way notifications are displayed in the top bar, which… surprised me, and caused me to miss a couple of messages, as I had a couple of groups that I did not check regulary - it forced me to clean up the settings for those notifications (i.e. to mentions only), which I guess is a good thing, but still, what I am trying to say, is, that, to me at least, group msg notifications are far far far less important then game message notifications.
Also, the two suggestions by @eltjopoort are now actually only one suggestion, as the post-game notifications merged with the group msg notifications.

My suggestion to solve this, is to make the default setting for group notifications to mentions only.

Thanks for considering these!

EDIT: When I’m on a roll, I also want to add, that the left of the three icons (the msg bubble) could probably be merged with the right of the three icons (the “bell” one) into one notification “center”, no?

3 Likes

I don’t know, it’s useful to separate notifications into different icons, so that you can tell at a glance how important they are. If somebody challenges you to a live game, you probably want to check it immediately, if somebody writes in a group you’re part of, there may or may not be any urgency.

Personally, I get many more “unimportant” chat notifications than urgent game ones, so unifying them would just train my eye to not care about them.

In fact, if anything, I’d like it if they were different colors, so that I can see which one is active with the corner of my eye.

(Don’t make the bell yellow, though, unless you also want to make the tournament trophy icon a different color)

4 Likes

Personally, I get many more “unimportant” chat notifications than urgent game ones, so unifying them would just train my eye to not care about them.

Good point. I don’t get much urgent game ones as I play correspondence almost exclusively. I definitely don’t have the overview of ALL the different notifications that could appear, and how important they are to various types of players, so I admit this needs a lot more thought put into it.

But also, there is also a system of the most urgent notifications displayed prominently in their own boxes, sometimes with a big icon, too (like new challenges to a correspondence game? or interesting streams like EGF grand prix just now?)?

ps: Is there a list of all the various notifications that can pop up on OGS?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.