India's first Go Tournament

We are organizing India’s first open Go tournament and beginner workshops on 18/19th February in Mumbai
The tournament is held in partnership with Meeplecon - India’s only boardgames Convention
Over 15000 people are expected to attend and this would be a great opportunity to showcase Go to the Indian crowd

If any of you are planning to visit India, here is the registration link https://meeplecon.in/go-tournament/
More information: AIGP - Association of Indian Go Players

14 Likes

Please let us know if there will be any streaming and/ or relaying of games, so we can follow along even if we can’t visit! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

There will be pictures for sure!
I don’t think you all would be interested in kyu-kyu games :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Why not? Most of the OGS players are kyu’s.
Might be nice to watch a game that you would actually be able to understand.
:smiley:

10 Likes

What @Atorrante said, he was faster :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I hope all the best for this event! Go never really took roots in India so it will be awesome if it starts from initiative like this.

2 Likes

I told two of my Mumbai based colleagues. They nearly know the rules (from me), so who knows … :wink:

5 Likes

There will be a set of tutorial sessions for beginners as well, so please feel free to send this link to all potential go players in India:

6 Likes

Cool, please encourage them to visit, we can get them started with atari go

1 Like

Who won the tournament? I heard Ilya Trunilin, is that right?

1 Like

Yup. Ilia won with Urban Larsson from Sweden coming in second.
There was a 2nd 9x9 tournament for beginners, mostly attended by people who learnt the day before.

3 Likes

Over the weekend, 100+ people were taught to play capture go and 20 of them proceeded to learn and play full 9x9 games
There was a healthy interest shown by the younger generation. This interest looks encouraging for the future of Go in India
We had 8 players participating in our first tournament.
Ilia (3-dan/Russia) won the 19x19 tournament. Urban Larsson(5-kyu/Sweden) came in runners-up. Samon from Mumbai won the 9x9 tournament.
I have a partial stream of the game and a postgame rengo, will put up the links soon
(Wingspan finals are happening next to us on stage)

7 Likes

Here are some partial streams, they get cut off because the phone went into sleep :frowning:

1 Like