Introduction to 19x19 games (TL) (Game finished)

I am a newcomer to the world of go and started playing the 9x9 board.
I have won must of my games and I am now looking for a strong player 10k+
who can help me transition from the 9x9 board to the 19x19 board.

My timezone is UTC+01:00 and I am available must of the week between 12:00-6:00 pm (local time).

Review of the game https://online-go.com/review/236458

Try the 13x13 first

1 Like

I see your point, it might be easier to go from 13x13 to 19x19, but I am confident that I can make the transition between 9x9 and 19x19 with enough work.

2 Likes

Ok, so I recommend you to check Fuseki theory, to not be so lost in a 19x19 board

1 Like

Hello, I am about 10k so the proverbial bottom of the barrel of what you want, but if you do not find anyone stronger feel fre to PM me or add me to your friendlist to see if I am online and I will gladly try to help you with the transition to the “big boys’ board” :slight_smile:

(GMT+1 but my online time is very random)

1 Like

Is there any book or webpage that covers fuseki theory tat you know of? @Gustin

Opening_Theory_Made_Easy I think is a good book, was my first book, and I think will open your mind on this topic, go on the Nick Sibicky You Tube Channel, there are some videos on the topic, A book the can help, and its not specifically related to fuseki is “How to not play go”

2 Likes

Thank you, I am sure I will find it very interresting.

If you win someone equal or stronger than you on 9x9, play on 10x10 board. If you win again, play on 11x11 board. If you lose to someone equal or more weak, go back to 10x10 board. And so on until you reach 19x19. So when you reach it you will be equally strong on 19x19 as you was on 9x9.

Sensei’s Library has a wealth of information from beginner to advanced: http://senseis.xmp.net/

1 Like

Uhm, no. Sounds funny but isn’t advisable.

I’d say stick with the standard sizes 9x9, 13x13, 19x19, not the least reason being that they are odd-numbered and therefore have Tengen.

1 Like

The mission was to transit from 9x9 to 19x19 as smooth as possible.

Man, such lofty advice here. Honestly, Woden, at the 20k+ level (even 16k+ if you ask me), studying is not going to do you much good. The best way to learn at your level is to just play games. Feel it out, try things and see if they work. Worst that happens? You lose. But hey, you learn more from losing anyway. Hence the “lose your first N games as quickly as possible.”

I recommend against studying too much yet, because you won’t know why you’re making those moves. Blindly repeating some opening isn’t actually making you a better player if you don’t understand why. Just go play some 19x19 and feel it out against players around your level or a few stones higher.

1 Like

… allright. not studying certainly isnt either ;).

yes it will… the undestanding can come with time.

@_Woden
have you played adam allready? how was it? if you still need help, i offer my services :slight_smile: . just contact me here or with a private message.

Time that could be better spent just playing. He’s 22k, telling him a bunch of stuff to study is just going to slow his progress and possibly bore him out of the game in general. This is the same pedagogical issue that early math education in the US suffers from so severely.

everyone has their own pace when studying, some can handle more than others, some enjoy it some dont. many people (including myself) find it very hard to just start doing something, without having first aquired at least rudimentary theorie. of course its bad to make someone study so much that they lose interest… but noone is trying to do that, in fact we cant. everyone manages their own workload here, since its a hobby.

conncerning progress i can only talk from my own experience, which is that studying deliberate moves and sequences and building a theoretical framework around them helps me more, than “just” playing. application comes second for me. im sure i dont understand all im studying, but when im wrong, i get proven wrong in play at some point and can adjust my theory…etc.
but maybe there are people who actually improve from playing more than they do from studying? i know that it isnt like that for me personally (and wasnt when i started out either).

the issue is balance (like it always is …). i just found it peculiar to advise anyone not to study, thats all.

2 Likes

I totally disagree with the don’t study.

What’s not good is to rote-learn josekis and fusekis and be hung up on those.

There is heaps to learn before those things, that you can get ahead quickly with by studying: specifically looking at the videos of people like Dwyrin and Nick Sibicki, and chosing those aimed low. Like shape lectures for example.

“Just play” is saying “you might as well ignore all the experience of the past and make all the same misktakes and discoveries yourself”.

(On fuseki: I read somewhere that the first 10 or more moves of the game are irrelevant for kyus - just playing “vaguely sane” sets the beginning for a game that will be decided by play after that, at this level. I found that knowing one or two helps me feel less “overwhelmed by possibility”).

1 Like

Do what you enjoy.

If you enjoy playing, and figuring things out as you go, do that. You definitely need a lot of practical experience to advance, and playing lots of games is a great way to get better, same as any skill.

If you enjoy studying and reading books and theories etc, do that. Find something you can comprehend and read it, practice, memorise, whatever your heart desires. That will also help you get better.

Street smarts and book smarts are both necessary in go. But telling someone, especially a beginner, that they ‘have’ to do this or that in order to improve is likely to make some people give up on the game all together.

Remember, it’s a game, the entire point is to have fun. If playing loads of games is fun, do it. If reading books and memorising is fun for you, do that. It’s all good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed - that’s true. I just wanted to note that “study” doesn’t necessarily mean “reading books” and “book smarts”. For me it has mostly meant “watching instructional videos” and “looking at other people’s games and reviews” as well as browsing senseis.xmp.net.

What I was specifically disagreeing with was the statement “time spent studying would be better spent playing”.

It seems to me that this statement has the wrong kind of “study” in mind. Dwyrin and NickS videos are entertaining and useful. Studying something that you use in your next game ought not to be boring.

That said, you can discover it all yourself, by just playing. But I don’t agree that “time spent studying would be better spent playing”. The most effective is likely to be a good combination of both (obviously only studying won’t improve your play :slight_smile: )

3 Likes