Is anyone contemplating attending the EGC next year?

The 2022 European Go Congress is apparently going to be in Vatra Dornei, Romania.

If you think that’s too remote and Slavic, 2023’s EGC is to be in… Kamianets–Podilskyi, Ukraine.

I think Romania may be more accessible for most of us.

So, does anyone have plans to travel there? I quite likely won’t have the money, but it’d be interesting to see who’s interested.

6 Likes

The closest I’ll ever be, probably!

I’d love to go, although I realistically won’t. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I would be very interested in going, but I won’t be able to attend due to various reasons and obligations (not to mention the covid issue) :confused:

I will get myself eventually to a Go Congress, but I have no clue how many years it will take me.

1 Like

Romania is not at all Slavic.

4 Likes

My wife would kill me if I spend my long over due European vacation in a Go event

2 Likes

P. S. I think by a rough estimation that’s closer to me than Paris.

2 Likes

I’d love to but like @txwolf said it would likely cause some marital issues…

2 Likes

Well…

1 Like

Really tho, Romanians and Hungarians aren’t usually included.

2 Likes

I wonder if post 4 is the quickest a thread has made it to Linguistics Avenue.

4 Likes

I think you got the wrong dates, see http://egc2020.org.ua/
There is no EGC in 2021.
EGC will take place in Vatra Dornei in 2022 and in Kamianets-Podilskyi in 2023.

I have no idea if I’ll be able to attend either congress. It depends, among others, on my family.

3 Likes

Sorry, I meant 2022 and 2023!

I actually read that but somehow failed to communicate that central information to the page.

3 Likes

From this point of view, English would then belong to the Romance languages. :wink:

1 Like

Why do you think it is more accessible for most of us.? Why do you ask, if you’re not going?

Catalin and his team will make a great EGC in Romania and I hope be part of it

Some pictures from last years smaller Winter Go Camp there: Winter Go Festival 2020 in Vatra Dornei

3 Likes

I’m sure that Catalin and his team will organize a great EGC and that Vatra Dornei is a great place for a go congress.

But I am a bit hesitant to spend my summer holidays in Romania TBH. As far as I understand, there is significant risk of falling victim to petty crimes, such as panhandling (perhaps somewhat understandable, as poverty is a significant problem in Romania, probably more than in any other EU country).
I expect that tourists in particular are a magnet for aggressive begging and panhandling, so I don’t look forward to being a tourist in Romania.

Or am I overly concerned here?

1 Like

I’ve been several times to Romania (Bucharest, Timisoara, Cluj-Napoca) and didn’t experience problems. But I wasn’t a tourist so I don’t know if my experience would have differed.

2 Likes

I think that is the case. First of all, like in most countries, things are not really homogenous there either. The northern part of Romania is different from the southern part in a lot of way. Also, Bucharest as the capital, is different from Cluj-Napoca, for example. From a friend that lived and worked in both of these cities I gathered that they are different cities, situations and, in some respect, even attitutes.

I would expect Vatra-Dornei, being a small town of 15000 people in the northern Romania to be a very pleasant and safe place for tourism :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would love to attend the next congress, but it all depends on me having both vacation and money when it is held xD

Staying at a hotel for 2 weeks is expensive, so is having 2 weeks of unpaid vacation, and when put together its kinda unbearable combination >___>
But hopefully things will work out by then and i can participiate, i’ve only once been at the congress and it was just absolutely wonderful event ^^

1 Like

I would encourage everyone to go to a EGC because it’s just great and Catalin is a awesome organizer. Being in Romania it should turn to be cheap too. For criminality, it’s surely more a parameter when you are tourist but much less when you are invited by people of the country.

I would push even more sdk and higher levels to participate because EGC is the place to meet (very) strong players who have a lot of free time to enjoy with you, a quite unique opportunity.

5 Likes

We have just arrived from Vatra Dornei, the venue of 64th European Go Congress, to be held in 2022. After a couple of winter go festivals, it was the first time we visited the place during summer holidays.
Here is the link to the YouTube video about the SEYGO Tournament attended by 58 young players from Romania, Ukraine and Croatia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnAP75V24vs

There is a fresh webpage about the forthcoming congress with all necessary information:

https://egc2022.ro/

Although I might be a little biased :innocent:, the page gives enough information for the decision about travelling to the congress. The accommodation should be reserved early enough, since the area is very popular in summer months.

After two years of the “break”, I believe that the next congress is going to be a great test for the European go community in general. Since it seems that the virus was on vacation for most of the summer 2021, the EGC 2022 will be probably at the level of Oberhof 2017: a pleasant, green atmosphere, at least 15 degrees colder than in most of Europe …

3 Likes