Is Go useful? Does it improve your skills outside playing Go?

Exploring the brains of Baduk (Go) Experts (PDF)

Scientific paper that proves, using some of the most advanced medical technology on the planet, that Go study changes the structure of the human brain. It results in stronger emotional control, reasoning, pattern recognition, problem solving, concentration, and tends to inspire discipline in those who study it for a long period of time.

I haven’t even fully read the study, as I’m trying to understand everything it is saying. But the vocabulary is a bit difficult to digest. A lot of acronyms and abbreviations as the paper moves forward. Without a shadow of a doubt, Go does affect people in their lives.

One of the coolest things that this study points out is that Go has a long and detailed history. The people who play it tend to be tracked throughout their careers. And most professional Go players play well into their old age. There has never been a recorded case of a Go player who has a degenerative brain disease. Statistically this should be impossible. So there is a strong belief that the very specific way that Go modified brain matter, staves off these sorts of diseases.

Japan found that kids who study Go are twice as likely to get accepted into a prestigious University. There is actually a long list of ways that Go affects people on a personal level. Particularly in relation to their self confidence, self image, and self discipline. I’ve researched the topic a great deal. So, how specifically are you defining “the side benefits of Go in one’s wider life”? Can I get some examples or a better definition?

Of interest might be this recent discussion about Go and IQ here on the forum.

This post specifically talks about Go and Children.

5 Likes