Is there a Polite way to say that game is already decided?

Yes.

Sometimes when I should have resigned I have carried on playing and it gets to a point where I want to resign but I feel that it would be more polite to finish the game off…

6 Likes

Start talking about the weather, it will indicate to your opponent that you’re bored.

10 Likes

:laughing:

If we ever play a game, and you begin to talk about the weather, you can now be sure that I’ll complain about you being rude :stuck_out_tongue:

<jk> of course

8 Likes

I started to never resign, I don’t understand the fuss about it.

Both players see the time settings beforehand, and decide to commit to this.

For me being far behind in a game is the time to experiment, try risky invasions where I would play a reduction instead (if I were ahead) or try more forcefully to take sente in endgame etc.

It’s also a nice game of attrition - It’s interesting to see people struggle with the long times of reallife games as they loose concentration. (OGS normal live setting is closer to fast blitz for reallife tournaments here after all)

10 Likes

LOL, funny :laughing: … but I still wouldn’t do that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think the most I’d possibly do could be …

• Commenting there with something like, “I’m not going to link to that there post in the OGS forum :sunglasses:”, of course with no mention whatsoever WHAT post that might be about.

• And then linking to here in the Malkovich Log, together with a big grin :grin:

But even that … no, I think I’d rather not.

6 Likes

Well, in all honesty: You both agreed to the rules beforehand. If your opponent does want to play until counting, as is his right to do, and you want him to cut the game short - this seems like a fundamentally rude thing to do. And I don’t think that there is a way to say something fundamentally rude in a non-rude way.

4 Likes

I have a way: with good friends which I bring to the game I did propose on purpose to stop the game and with explanation they didn’t get offended. Even this did happen with beginners who were not friends, but by how they perceive the game and behave I could guess they won’t be offended if I asked them to stop.

So it’s not so general as it looks, if you feel your opponent can agree you can politely ask him to stop.

Now my experience is more based on real life as on internet, and it’s definitely more rare to have any idea with who you play. Few talking (usually no talking) no seeing just playing the moves…

3 Likes

Here is a suggestion:

If one feels that the game is already decided, but the opponent continues to play on (presumably to finish the game with scoring, rather than just time wasting), and one doesn’t want to continue playing, one can simply resign.

Of course, some might not like this idea, but then I guess one is more concerned about getting credit for the win, rather than having to continue play in an already won game, so one should continue play if that’s the case.

6 Likes

That’s the rudest thing suggested so far, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Well, if you resign with some excuse, like “Sorry, something came up in real life.”, It would probably be polite and I’m sure you opponent won’t be offended. (Talking about online play here.)

If it’s morally right, however is dubious :wink:

3 Likes

Won’t this get you into trouble for sandbagging? Or seemingly lining up some sandbagging?

4 Likes

Yes, in the context of a ranked game, sandbagging is definitely a concern with such an approach, and I don’t think it would be appropriate in tournament settings either. However, playing a game of Go is an entirely voluntary activity, and I can’t see how anyone can force someone to not resign nor time out.

But really, I’m just trying to play devil’s advocate here.

I believe the original question is framed within a hypothetical situation with the following conditions:

1. One feels that a game has already been decided in one’s own favor.
  2. One does not wish to continue playing.
  3. One wishes for their opponent to resign to end the game.

I’m just pointing out that one could always compromise on the third point, if the second is so important.

5 Likes

“If players counted their points during the game, go games would get much shorter, wouldn’t they”

4 Likes

Let me edit that slightly,

“If players could count their points during the game, go games would get much shorter, wouldn’t they”

I don’t think it’s as easy as it sounds. It might be easy to estimate that you’re 10 points ahead in the opening, then some mid game fighting breaks out and it’s harder to estimate. Add to that time constraints, so that if you hit byo-yomi you just have to go with a gut feeling of points rather than a decent count. So by the endgame it might just be too hard to accurately count, or at least it would sacrifice reading time to do so.

Was that an actual quote from some player? I mean they’re not wrong as such :slight_smile: I just wish I could count quickly and accurately during my own games :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know which phrasing works best.

It’s something I think sometimes. I’m referring specifically to endgames where both players accepted the result already and just playing it out. I don’t mind playing out endgames if it’s fun. But in corr it can be just dragging. So I wish there was a way to indicate that you aren’t having fun.

2 Likes

Sometimes I’m happy to go eat at restaurant with someone and even if we don’t always order the same dishes, I can stay to the end.

The worst situation I met was with full beginners who really want to understand everything from the very beginning. Because you cannot interfere in something new, it could be interpreted as a really bad attitude like a cheating to win, I had to accept lengthly thinking on each move, which was complete no sense. I remember a full night in a party, watching others drinking dancing and me just fixed in front of the board…

1 Like

Isn’t that passing?

If the endgame is not fun, it should be because it’s not changing the score. So passing should be appropriate. If passing is not appropriate, it means the end game IS affecting the score and the game isn’t over anyhow, and it should be a fun challenge to try to win…

3 Likes

I believe the preferred phrase is “gg ez”

4 Likes

That’s a big reason I refuse to play any board game without clocks.

1 Like