Is there a principle I violated here?

I feel the invasion at move 66 should not have lived https://online-go.com/game/11558188 yet it did. Does the following sound correct? Had I played move 69 at G3 instead of E4 I believe white would have lived but of course the ladder would not have happened. Had I played played move 67 at E3 instead of D4 I believe white would have died.

Since the invasion really ought to have failed, I wonder if I violated a more general principle of which I may be unaware.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am too lazy to post variatons on phone, but I think you violated the most basic principle when going for the kill. “Stay strong & surround from distance, just preventing eyes.” You attached too much, you left cuts behind, you rushed it. E6 was especially bad IMO. There is no eyespace there, nowhere to run. The one liberty can wait if you are strong everywhere. You should have chosen a safe move not a fast one. F7 just as well.

But yes, given perfect play I too think it should have died

3 Likes

Thanks, F7 makes sense as does the principle.

i did a review of that situation: https://online-go.com/review/303026

@Adam3141 is right of course, your mistake was to leave weaknesses in a situation where the only chance for white was to hope for you to leave weaknesses ^^

3 Likes

Thanks for the review.

I would have played G2 at move 69 where @kickaha recommended G3. I think his move is more solid than mine, but the idea is the same. You don’t have to remove all his liberties, just make sure he doesn’t have room to live. The actual killing can come later.

G2 cuts down on black’s space, but it isn’t as strong as G3. The question is more or less whether it’s more important to cut down white’s available space or to strengthen on the outside. This close to the edge of the board, there’s no way to cut under G3 or use the space for eyes, so it’s better to play G3. G2 gives white the potential to try to find a way to play G3 as an atari and push through.

If black’s stone were a line higher (i.e. at G5 instead of G4), you’d want to play the one-space jump down to G3 instead of connecting at G4, since G4 would let white jump under on the second line. This would still leave the potential push-through weakness, which is a good illustration of why it’s better to build on the 4th line than the 5th line, in most cases.

1 Like