Is this comic sexist?

That’s exactly why I never think for long times.

2 Likes

This reeks of white male privilege so badly, I feel the need to open a window.

You are all smart enough to have discussions over the internet in at least one language, and smart enough to learn and understand Go. These are facts that I know about all of you.

So, you CHOOSE, actively CHOOSE to be sexists.
It’s not my job to educate you, if you didn’t want to be you could very well do your research and find out why your mindset it wrong.

But, by god, y’all are not willing or ready to give up even the slightest privilege to become better human beings.

Over and out.

11 Likes

That you found it such an appropriate idea for a joke, and that I can tell which of the rest chuckled when they read it and thought it was a nice “clapback” to me, tells me all I need to know.

Do better.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think I need to drive around in my truck and punch some hydrants to come up with something. Just wait here.

Just imagine if I could actually do good sexist jokes, that would put in a far worse light. :grin:

But it seems that you think that it is your job to look down on us … which is quite the discrimination :wink:

Seriously though, personally, I’d really like to hear what is reasonably wrong with what I said. Or what was inaccurate.

Want to hear something funny and true?
Someone told me my book is racist and sexist because I used the wrong pronouns for the players.
They thought that one of them should be male and the other player female.

I said: “Fine by me, I didn’t do it on purpose. So, which is which then?”
Is White male or female ? And why ? Will this offend people if I choose it ?
Is Black male of female ? And why ? Will this offend people if I choose it ?
And what do I do if someone else sends me an email and tells me that I am a sexist CIS male and asks “what about the other pronouns?” According to google there are 78 gender pronouns now. I only have two colours of stones on the board. There is no way I can accomodate all of them. What do I do then? How do I avoid being racists/sexist/whatever now?

I honestly have no clue what the right answer to these questions is and I would really appreciate it if you, or anyone else, could tell me the answers to them.

P.S.
If we all really didn’t care about the matter as you seem to imply, we would have just shrugged and not replied at all, instead of giving time and thought to the issue.

6 Likes

You see, it was a sexist joke. You can’t see it, you probably think it was just edgy, but it was.

4 Likes

Ah, personal anecdotes as a strawman. How appropriate.

You reply to say that we crazy women overreact.

Really? Really? You feel this slight as discrimination. I can’t.

No, you don’t. You want to mansplain sexism to me, because you can’t resist.

I’m not looking down on you; I’m looking at you, dissappointed.

4 Likes

Ah, yes, because the appropriate and needed response to someone asking if something is sexist is MEN be the judges and reassure him, lest he has to restrain himself in any way.

3 Likes

Actually, kind of petty. This is what creates quarrels rather than discussions. If you just say “I’m right and you can’t see your errors, good bye and good luck”, there’s no point for anybody to take part in this conversation.
Also, the problem is much more complex. I experienced discrimination myself for being a not discriminated white straight male. My flatmate (homosexual girl) once told me I couldn’t express opinions about Louis C.K. and Roman Polanski because I haven’t suffered discrimination.
And I once started hanging out with a black friend, who after a while became very sticky and sorta creepy, he got mad when I didn’t text him for more than five days and offended if I was too busy too meet him. After giving him a hint that he was too pushy, he didn’t get it so I just didn’t hang out with him anymore. When I found him by chance one day he accused me of having become racist because of this. Because if you’re black of course there’s no way you can be unpleasant…
I think all are equal, or better, that differences exist but are not determined by gender, race or sexual preferences, but the situation is getting quite absurd lately.

5 Likes

It is a real problem though that I had (just like the original topic creator had with his comic) and I’d really like a solution from people that seem to understand the issue more than me, instead of tossing the problem aside, because it is hard to address.

You seem to be perfectly willing to help the comic creator, yet somehow you deem that my totally similar problem is a “strawman”? How so?

One could say that we could all characterise the initial comic as a “personal anectode”, discredit it as a “strawman” and get on with our days without offering any real thoughts or solutions to the matter.

You feel this slight as discrimination.

Nope. The emoji at the end and the “seriously though” following it, makes it clear that it is a joke on how “if you think long enough EVERYTHING is sexist/racist/whatever”

No, you don’t. You want to mansplain sexism to me, because you can’t resist.

I wrote multiple times already that I honestly want an answer to my questions. If you do not want to accept that and you think that I am being dishonest, just because I am a man, then who is the sexist now ? :wink:

I’m not looking down on you; I’m looking at you, dissappointed.

That is more or less the same thing, actually :smiley:

On the general issue:

4 Likes

No. Men always expect us to be their perpetual mothers and teach them the way. You have to do the job by yourselves at some point.

You’re missing the point of privilege. Which is only a google search away. You want me to spoonfeed it to you, but I’m under no obligation to do so. You are not my project. The same way you research new fuseki to be better at Go, you can research what privilege means, to be better in general.

You consider it absurd, because it was so comfy and now your privilege is challenged. Simple as that.

Personal anecdotes and personal experiences don’t mean privilege is not a thing.

3 Likes

Sexism.

Didn’t ask you.

I consider it absurd because an initially just claim has brought absurd side-effects like those you decided to ignore.

6 Likes

OK, since you’re asking honestly:
Think, and be honest with yourself (you don’t even have to share), how you would feel if you changed all the pronouns in your book to she/her. Would it feel weird/ uncomfortable/ unnatural?
Could you have white always be a she and black always be a he? Does it seem like unnecessary compromise, deep down?
You don’t have to answer immediately, or even at all.

“Woke” is when you are battling about things that don’t concern you directly. I can’t be considered “woke” about something that directly affects my life. In your example, the White Man is too woke about racism. I can’t be too woke because I’m challenging sexism.
I’d say you missed the whole point Trevor made.

1 Like

Patriarchy.

2 Likes

Nope.

1 Like

See? You are not willing to even challenge your privilege. Not even a bit.
Someone says they feel oppressed and your reaction is “but what about myyyyyy feeeeelings???”.

If you want to, you can work on it.
But as I said, y’all don’t want to, it’s too cushy to give up.

2 Likes

P.S. Yes, there are people who will always find something to be offended. This is indeed a problem. But this doesn’t mean that an issue doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Just playing by your rules. If you’re not willing to discuss why should I be? But if you want me to explain my “nope”, I don’t think that my criticism is patriarchy because I just responded to a generalisation that you estended to all men, even those who are now trying to have a conversation with you. Conversation you seem not to look for. Sorry if I think differently, but I don’t find random accusations persuasive enough.

3 Likes

As I said, I have no problem with doing that, but what about the other 76 gender pronouns?
Since that person went down that road, don’t we have to go all the way and not stay only halfway where it is comfortable for us?

If I should put in the work and do the edits to please both males and females, what do I say if someone asks about the other 76 pronouns that I didn’t use?
So, in that case I would have put all that effort to make the changes and I would still be badly characterised.

Could you have white always be a she and black always be a he?

As I said, I could, but what if someone thinks that White should be a he and Black a she, for some reason?
As you say in the next quote on that exact point:

Exactly. I didn’t say the issue is not there. I said that there is no reasonable solution that will make everyone happy. So, at the end of the day is someone is going to be offended anyway, then what exactly can you do?
I’d say that is a fair question.

At the end of the day, none of us really offered a solution to the comic creator that would turn his particular comic into something that would not offend anyone, because it seems that might be impossible.

Does it seem like unnecessary compromise, deep down?

Not at all.
Barring the fact that I’d have to put in at least 40 hours of extra work in order to not solve the problem with the other 76 pronouns. As I said, there is no way to make everyone happy.

“Woke” is when you are battling about things that don’t concern you directly.

Above the video I wrote “on the general issue” so the video was not about you :slight_smile:

3 Likes