Japanese rule; last move by black and stone in one's own territory

I guess I’m still confused. It seems like we’re agreement about what andysif was originally talking about: a finished game where the result (score margin) under C rules is one point different than the result under J rules. This can be demonstrated with a single diagram showing a finished game involving no ko or seki:

Can you explain why seki is necessary? It seems that you are thinking of a different situation where seki would be necessary.

I believe so since you also stated the following:

This is talking about a completely different comparison.

andysif’s post and my reply were originally talking about a one-point difference between the scoring margins produced by the J and C rules applied to the same finished board position. However, your follow-up is talking about one-point swings produced by which player takes the last dame. I was not trying to make any claims about this different kind of situation, but since you diverted the discussion toward that topic, I tried to figure out what you were really after by offering another example position.

I never claimed that the swing would not be two points under Chinese rules. I just wanted to mention that points that appear to be dame, could still cost a player a point under Japanese rules if not taken in time.

My mistake for calling those example points dame, if that’s not the correct term. I’ve always thought of such situations as “false dame”. Maybe that’s abuse of terminology, but people do say things like:

1 Like

I find the conciseness and elegance of the Tromp-Taylor rules to be very satisfying:
https://tromp.github.io/go.html

Which one is “better” is still hotly debated to this day. In terms of reducing disputes and simplifying things, I think area scoring and superko has its advantages. Perhaps the existence of the discrepancy has more to do with tradition and politics than logic, but I’m not a historian.

@smurph, I’m really curious… what situation were you imagining when you said that two sekis were necessary?

Oh, look, a sleeping dog…