Jlt's game reviews

A short review of a game played in a parallel universe with Sofiam (originally it was a casual rengo with Sofiam+benjito against me but benjito left the game at move 31).

Black to play:

Answer

Black should play at E18.

Explanation

In the game, Black played at H19 but White can capture stones in sente:

The next position comes from this joseki. How should White play next?

Answer

Just connect. After the following tesuji, White has enough liberties to capture the marked stones.

In this position, how should White answer?

Answer?

AI proposes this but I canā€™t say I understand where this fight is going, so forget itā€¦

In the following position, how should White answer?

Answer

Like in the joseki.

Black may owe a move later at B5 (or White has a followup there later).
If White plays at B3 instead of B2, White canā€™t be cut but the shape is less good.

4 Likes
My assumption

After white made those J3 and K2 exchanges, I suppose the KataGo doesnā€™t like to abandon whiteā€™s lower side stones without a fight.

But checking that fight with KataGo on my own laptop, itā€™s immensely complicated (and black keeps the lead). Following KataGoā€™s fighting for 60 moves:

And the fighting for whiteā€™s lower side group is still not over.

4 Likes

Two quick positions from a fast correspondence game that I lost against @Groin. The game was played in 4 days, I finished it this morning in a train (I wanted to chat after the game but my connection was bad so I couldnā€™t).

First position, Black to play.

Answer

P8. This should have been easy (reverse sente move, border between two moyos). Therefore, White should have played at P8 before approaching the upper right corner.

Second position: Black to play.

Answer

The cut is a sacrifice. Black thus finishes in sente.

2 Likes