Josekle Development

I mean most ones I’ve seen, on news sites even and elsewhere have a settings or preferences thing where you can see what you’re supposed to be agreeing to when you click to accept or accept all.

Most of the time it’s about a hundred toggles of different vendors that want to use your data in some shape or form, lots for targeted advertising. The worst ones in my opinion are the ones that don’t even give you an “uncheck all” type button and you’d have to, if you wanted to, manually uncheck all the different vendors and toggles.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Well, someone finally created it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/srwlee/i_created_chessle_like_wordle_but_for_chess/

Chessle 2 (Normal) 3/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

https://jackli.gg/chessle

6 Likes

A possibly relevant comment to Josekle from that Reddit

Really interesting concept! Wordle uses 2 colors because there are 2 variables (letter, location). Since there are 3 variables in this variation (piece, location, move order), an interesting addition here could be to add another color to account for this.

I also didn’t get the chessle, I don’t know my chess openings

2 Likes

Thanks for the note. I’ll revert the change that I made that is probably causing this. @okonomichiyaki please hold off on taking my pull request until I amend it.

1 Like

I have no idea. However, at least, the data is stored purely locally and is of, I think, the non-personal type. It seems that Wordle does not ask me about cookies, so maybe we fall under the same category, and probably the NYT knows what they are doing.

Does OGS have a cookie notice? Perhaps it should?

2 Likes

Regarding GDPR, I’m not an expert and have only read the wikipedia but a couple reasons I think it might not apply?

• I don’t think it’s personally identifiable data. We store the title of the last played puzzle, and the submitted guesses (also the last zoom level and dark mode on/off)
  • The data is stored locally and there’s no server component. This differs from a cookie which is generated by the server

I’m curious of any of these Wordle clones show a pop up for any of you in or out of the EU?

2 Likes

I have now reverted that alignment change to address the Safari issue noted by @shinuito. @okonomichiyaki, the pull request is now ready to be accepted.

Regarding reddit, maybe we should promote Josekle with a reddit post? @okonomichiyaki, do you have an account and wish to make the announcement? Now, should that be on r/baduk or r/badukshitposting??

3 Likes

I was thinking about posting after the new collection switch, and we are confident it’s working

:thinking:

2 Likes

Looks great, do we want to wait to merge this until hard mode is live? for the rest of today (#14) hard and easy are going to be the same puzzle

1 Like

Ok, sounds good. No urgency to pull those changes. Maybe we should add something to check if the user is new and automatically show the help window on their first visit? What would be the best way to do that? Maybe just check if any local storage has been set?

And then, let’s make the reddit announcement when this help text is live, so that the flood (hopefully) of new users will get to see it.

Also, do you want to add any promotion to the help page? Like a pointer to the github source and/or maybe a brief credits?

1 Like

yeah good idea.

I was also thinking to make it remember you were playing hard mode? and if you’re on hard mode, replace the link in help with a link to switch back to normal

because I’m not sure it’s obvious the query parameter is how it works, if you’re not aware of query parameters, or on mobile it might not even be visible easily

1 Like

But how would someone switch off hard mode in that case? Do we need another button? Or maybe a turn off hard mode link in the help text?

sorry ninja edited my post but not fast enough. we would replace the link in the modal with something like:

you’re playing on hard mode, switch to normal here: link

but maybe not needed. does wordle remember?

1 Like

I think Wordle remembers whether hard mode is on in the same way it remembers other settings, like dark and high contrast mode.

I guess a redesign to consider is pushing that setting, along with other things like dark mode, coordinate styles, show/hide variations, variations style, and realistic stones (when I eventually add that) into a separate settings modal.

1 Like

yeah I guess this would be best. maybe just leave things for now and see how hard mode is received by folks… still have no idea how much harder the new collection is, last couple from existing collection have been hard for me.

but feel free to mess around with any of these ideas if you would like to

1 Like

I think josekle.com is still available in case you want to set up with that before announcing!

2 Likes

Well, I guess we’d have to pay at least something for that, which isn’t quite ideal.

It’s kind of amazing to find a seven-letter, pronounceable dot-com domain these days, that appears to be completely unregistered and not yet parked by a domain name company.

2 Likes

Chessle 2 (Normal) X/6

:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:
Only opening I’ve ever learned is the queen’s gambit (years ago, before the series).

It’s about $10/yr.

And starting with a common name, too!
Hey, josekl.com is even available :wink:

1 Like